Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81>EJ22 swap intake ideas

I'm not happy with my EJ swapped Brat's intake plumbing and I'm looking for ideas and more so pictures of what others have done.

I have a 93 Impreza tube and a 3" K&N style filter. The tube is strapped to the strut tower by a piece of plumber's tape with heater hose sleeved over it.

This setup draws hot air, flops over bumps, and looks like crap so I want to see what others with EJ swapped EA81's have done.

I have an ej22 in my 86 gl. It is a later model ej, but i have retrofitted first generation ej22 intake tube using an ea82 airbox. I will have to modify the end of the ej hose to the maf, and use a dummy ea82 mpfi maf to fit on the ea82 metal airbox.

I could have gone with the ej airbox for a direct fit, but i like the metal ones better than the ej plastic ones.

If i were dong this in an ea81, i would cut out the spare jack and relocate the battery to that side uing ea82 starter cables, and mount an ea or ej airbox on that side. If you ever se a turbo ea81, it looks like an ea82 under the hood with airbox and battery setup.

I also had the idea of using some sort of ram intake with one filter, with the cone filter housed inside an ea82 airbox to hold it in place and keep dirt and water off the filter

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

I have an ej22 in my 86 gl. It is a later model ej, but i have retrofitted first generation ej22 intake tube using an ea82 airbox. I will have to modify the end of the ej hose to the maf, and use a dummy ea82 mpfi maf to fit on the ea82 metal airbox.

I could have gone with the ej airbox for a direct fit, but i like the metal ones better than the ej plastic ones.

If i were dong this in an ea81, i would cut out the spare jack and relocate the battery to that side uing ea82 starter cables, and mount an ea or ej airbox on that side. If you ever se a turbo ea81, it looks like an ea82 under the hood with airbox and battery setup.

I also had the idea of using some sort of ram intake with one filter, with the cone filter housed inside an ea82 airbox to hold it in place and keep dirt and water off the filter

My battery is in a box behind the passenger seat, so I don't have to worry about that.

The intake tube I'm using looks about the same as yours.

I've seen swaps using factory filter housings and it seems to work well.

My ridiculous idea has been to find a factory filter housing out of some random jy donor to fit in the spare tire well then plumb it to the cowl for some cowl induction action but I'm worried about sucking water in the rain.

The engine i use originally had the big football filter piece that would fit whre an intercooler would be, and i had the idea of making a shaker style or scoop induction out of it if i had a spare hood to mangle up.(map sensor style)

I wouls suggest for the sake of ease, to use a ej22 airbox and maf to make it all work lile it would be facotory.

Since mine is a MAP sensor, the MAF would just be a dummy to join the intake boot to the airbox, and to look better than some jank pvc home depot cobble job.