Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Forester manual transmission

Hello all,

I'm new to the message board, but hoping that someone can help us out with a vexing problem.

We've got a 1999 Subaru Forester with about 80,000 miles on it. Recently, it has developed a tendency to slip out of fifth gear into neutral when driving on the highway. It doesn't do it all the time, but it frequently happens when I ease off the gas a bit (for example, as I approach another vehicle and have to pause before changing lanes).

I'm guessing this is a worn synch roll problem, but when we took it to a mechanic this weekend, he said he'd have to replace the transmission (to the tune of $2500).

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, can you recommend a solution? We don't have $2500, so we're desperate to find a more economical answer.

Thanks,

MSF

there is a TSB on this problem. as i recall, the solution is something very minor like removing a particular spring and adding a washer or something like that. no overhaul required. find a mechanic who has an alldata subscription and you'll get the answer. i thought it only applied to legacy's and outbacks.

Originally posted by msf

Hello all,

I'm new to the message board, but hoping that someone can help us out with a vexing problem.

We've got a 1999 Subaru Forester with about 80,000 miles on it. Recently, it has developed a tendency to slip out of fifth gear into neutral when driving on the highway. It doesn't do it all the time, but it frequently happens when I ease off the gas a bit (for example, as I approach another vehicle and have to pause before changing lanes).

I'm guessing this is a worn synch roll problem, but when we took it to a mechanic this weekend, he said he'd have to replace the transmission (to the tune of $2500).

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, can you recommend a solution? We don't have $2500, so we're desperate to find a more economical answer.

Thanks,

MSF

It's "synchro", short for "synchronizer" :) , and most likely not the cause of your problem. Check the condition of the mounts (as another poster suggested). This is a do-it-yourself job, by the way. Rule out the simple, inexpensive fixes before you let anyone remove your transmission and inspect the internals (expensive).