Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant temp sensor part number?

ok so my parts store cant seem to get me the right coolant temp sensor. the car runs ok when its cold, but when it is drivin vary far it gets real boggy and the engine light comes on so im figuring its the cts. they keep giving me the wrong one. i have a 88 GL 10 wagon with the 1.8 liter no turbo.

hi,

my book shows #22630 aa011 , for 86-88 SPFI systems.

just want to say that the harness connector and corrosion is at fault many times, the corrosion can extend up into the wires inside their insulation for several inches of the harness sometimes. also the 02 sensor can cause issues because if not working right they usually drive the mixture full rich.

Next time its up to temp and its running rough, unplug the CTS to see if anything changes. I had a CTS go bad once, and it actually ran better with the sensor unplugged (until the new one arrived).

Also, in the Haynes manual, there are specs for the resistance of that sensor at different temps. That woud also be worth looking into.