Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 stereos

So, now that I have an EA81...and it needs a stereo....I can't seem to find anything that talks about it.

I know that the opening is not deep enough to accommodate a CD player. And I know of the slant consoles. I remember someone had found an mp3 unit or something that was not as deep, but I don't remember who.....

I would prefer to do that, mount it flat with the stock console. Anyone know how deep the hole is? I'd rather not take apart my dash until I have a new unit in hand. I don't mind cutting out a DIN-sized hole, but I'd rather not have it hanging out....

There is a shallower radio, that is mp3/usb/sd interface, but no cd, but the deck is shorter in depth than a standard unit. I ended up with one with an xt6.

The brand is DUAL, i believe, and i think that is a wal-mart brand. I'm not sure if there is an AUX jack on it. An ipod might work in the usb if the stereo will read the file structure in the ipod

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=pyle+shaft+style&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS405US405&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=677&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17000848276318884741&sa=X&ei=OULtTcy0I4WuvgPd-LzXDw&ved=0CE4Q8wIwAA

As long as your not looking for anything with super audio quality or anything, I used one of these in an old ford truck recently. Its like any old style shaft stereo with adjustable shaft widths. I see no reason why you couldnt use it in your Subaru. Depending on your dash you may have to cut out the little platic bar that divides the tuner needle from the preset buttons. If you shop around I found mine on sale with speakers for $27 shipped. Please note the speakers supplied with the unit SUCK!

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLR14MPF-Single-DIN-Dash-Style/dp/B0050VIHYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1307394912&sr=1-1

This one actually looks better...

Ive had good luck with cleaning/reparing the stock clarion decks that have the tape deck input. They have a reasonable output and can be modded to accept an aux input (3.5mm jack). Some junkyards have a flat stereo price thats not realistic for them, but if you can score a couple for under $10 you will have decent cheap tunes and keep your stock dash intact.

Chux the thing is to look into "mech-less" some are not as shallow as the Dual however if you can find the dims that will help. Asid from all of that there are adapters if you dont mind cutting you console. I feel that though useful they are fugly. I see them frequently on Ebay and I have also done the wooden version (DIY) but that was merely functional and nothing more.

Here are a few more options.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/products/74/In-Dash_Receivers/Digital_Media_Receivers_%28Mech-Less%29.aspx

Mike