Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru XT Modifications

SleepSubySleep

I have a couple of questions about modifying my soon to be 2005 subaru forester xt. I am looking at several options obviously from several different companies. If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

I am looking at several modifications right off the bat. Namely lowering and stiffening the suspension.

Has anyone used "Stance" suspension. I hear high reviews on all there products for other vehicles. Has anyone here used them. Otherwise any recommendations? Bilstein? or any other companies? Rallitek anti sway bars? bushings?

For Turbo upgrades has anyone used the Rallitek turbo's by "AVO"? I have extensively researched HKS and have great reviews from people again with other vehicles besides subaru's. And I love there products. Any recommendations?

Engine internals i'm still kind of lost on because I have run rx7's for years now, however i'm going to do this build right.

And for improving the structural integrity of the car. Rallitek or other alternatives? Transmission mounts? Engine mounts?

Any FMIC recommendations?

ECU upgrade?

Fuel management systems?

good mannered and responsive gauge brands?

Turbo timer.

boost controllers.

Aftermarket parts for overall improvement of the handling of the car?

I am relatively new to Subarus and will be posting pics of the car and the build as I go but any input will be very helpful and used wisely to do this right the first time. Last thing I want is to blow it all on a stupid mistake.

I have a couple of questions about modifying my soon to be 2005 subaru forester xt. I am looking at several options obviously from several different companies. If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

I am looking at several modifications right off the bat. Namely lowering and stiffening the suspension.

Has anyone used "Stance" suspension. I hear high reviews on all there products for other vehicles. Has anyone here used them. Otherwise any recommendations? Bilstein? or any other companies? Rallitek anti sway bars? bushings?

For Turbo upgrades has anyone used the Rallitek turbo's by "AVO"? I have extensively researched HKS and have great reviews from people again with other vehicles besides subaru's. And I love there products. Any recommendations?

Engine internals i'm still kind of lost on because I have run rx7's for years now, however i'm going to do this build right.

And for improving the structural integrity of the car. Rallitek or other alternatives? Transmission mounts? Engine mounts?

Any FMIC recommendations?

ECU upgrade?

Fuel management systems?

good mannered and responsive gauge brands?

Turbo timer.

boost controllers.

Aftermarket parts for overall improvement of the handling of the car?

I am relatively new to Subarus and will be posting pics of the car and the build as I go but any input will be very helpful and used wisely to do this right the first time. Last thing I want is to blow it all on a stupid mistake.

Almost all of your questions can be answered by searching, but I'll take a shot:

This is the wrong section, first of all. I'd go to New Gen or maybe Retrofitting.

A lot of your questions will be hard/impossible to answer without telling us your budget, your skills, and what you intend to do with your car.

Rallitek used to be cool, but in a way they turned their back on the Subaru community. It's fine with me, though, because I can find better stuff for less money elsewhere.

Turbo timers are a joke on modern turbo Subarus running modern oil. They do nothing useful.

AVO turbos are fancy, but you can probably get something you'll be happier with by going with a different brand.

Since your car is a turbo, and there's a lot of interchange with Legacies and STIs, you should search NASIOC for a lot of your questions on specific parts and speak with Cobb Tuning Surgeline in Portland when you have questions that can't be answered by searching.

For engine management, you pretty much have standalones, Accessport, and open source. Surgeline does exclusively Accessport. Bobby at PRE does Accessport and open source. Surgeline has a tuner who is widely considered to be one of the best tuners out there.

Jacob

First of all, check out this site

http://www.subaruforester.org

The best way to lower the suspension is to get some 04-07 WRX struts, and a set of 04-07 STi springs. Pretty much anything that works for an STi, will fit on your Forester.

And this is my mod list for my 04 Forester XT, which is nearly identical to the 05.

Cobb AP V2

2004 STi ECU

VF-39 turbo

Ver8 JDM STi TMIC w/ splitter

GTSPEC header and up-pipe

Perrin catted Down pipe

Vibrant Cat-Back

Injen cold air intake

Kartboy lightweight crank pulley

Walbro 255 lph fuel pump

Forge UNOS MBC

Optima Red Top battery