Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adding cruise control to '96 Brighton

I went to the junk yard today with the goal of adding cruise to my Brighton. I acquired and installed the steering wheel switch, dash switch, vacuum pump, vacuum line, actuator with cable, and the cruise computer. As people have stated, everything plugged right in. The problem is, it isn't working. I have a good fuse in the cruise slot, the dash cruise switch is lighting up but the cruise isn't engaging.

What could be wrong? I did get the cruise setup from an automatic car ('97 Outback) while my Brighton is a manual of course. Are there any switches for the pedals (clutch and/or brake) that I'm missing? Are the cruise computers specific to transmission types? Any help/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Just completed the install of cruise into my Brighton and it works great. Despite what every one believes, cruise control modules ARE NOT specific to auto or manual transmissions. My module came out of a 1997 Outback with automatic and it is working great. I got everything I could off the same Outback, other than the brake and clutch pedal switches which I ordered from RockAuto. The only reason many cruise modules have different part numbers is how they mount/configuration of the mounting bracket. Mine from the Outback came from under the steering column but my Brighton's plug was over by the passenger kick panel and I had to get creative with the mounting.

What's the p/n for the module? And can you post a pic? I'm looking to fix my CC but I'm not sure what to look for.

I don't know, but 87022AC050 or 87022AC010 would work and probably many others as long as it will plug in. Check that the little white plugs/caps are in place on your pedal levers otherwise your pedal switches won't register (common problem).