Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got an ej18, 123k miles on it, and lately I can hear a knocking sound on acceleration, usually only in 2nd or 3rd gear, and it's very faint, as in so faint that I can only hear it if it's absolutely quiet and I have the windows rolled up and the vent fan and radio off. It only knocks under load, and it seems to be RPM dependent. It's louder going up steep hills. I'm worried it's the beginning of rod knock, but I'm not absolutely sure. I don't think it's anything with the heads or lifters because it's load dependent, and I don't think it's axles because it's RPM, not speed dependent. Does anybody have experience with this?

" It only knocks under load, and it seems to be RPM dependent. It's louder going up steep hills"

Hi,

When I read this earlier today I was thinkiing...spark knock...pinging type of deal.

If you know what that sounds like, that probably isn't it. If it is, try better fuel.

Doug

how long has it been doing it?

what's the history of the motor - ever overheated or run low on oil, long oil change intervals?

should get louder before it blows so you *should* have some time.

check the timing tensioner too, when they fail the tensioner can start and "knocking" as it gives on various loads. though the EJ18 style rarely fails, it's worth a look since tensioners also can do it under load like this.

EJ18's do not have knock sensors, so the computer will not retard timing to stop it from knocking like EJ22's and 25's will. Try premium gas for a tankful and see if it stops. If it does, then either the EGR system is clogged up or not working, or the pistons have too much carbon on them.

Don't put 20w50 in any modern engine. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, the thick oil won't spread properly in low clearance bearings, so the bearing starves for oil while you have great oil pressure in the galleries. The oil starved bearing wears quickly, opening up the clearances, and now the oil can get in, so the bearing stabilizes. However, you now need to run 20w50 for the rest of the life of the engine because the bearings are trashed. Best thing is to just not go down that road.

• 3 weeks later...