Ultimate Subaru Message Board

T-topping a DL brat vs. windshield -- Chef Tim?

I'd like to eventually have T-tops grafted into my brat's roof.

I'd also like to have the windshield replaced as it's had a lot of sand blown at it or something and driving into the sunset is SCARY; i can't see!

When I have the t-tops put in, will it be easier if the windshield's out or will it matter? I don't want to have to yank the WS twice.

Hi Andy this is Pat in beautiful downtown Moxee ............If it was me I would find a gl brat with t Tops and do the switch. Man you are lookin at major time and dough to do that........also the dl brats are I .....think............More rare. you see a hell of alot less of them.................my thoughts .....Pat

Been talking to friend (Lynn) that does body work. He says it will be nessecary to have WS and Slider out to do the graft. Mainly 'cause you have to weld in the top. After a whole lot of fitment trials and subsequent grinding of parts to get it to fit properly. Shouldn't have any leaks, if it's done right. Lynn and his F-i-L, know body work.

Wonder how Tim had his Hatch done? Guess we won't know that answer now.

thanks Tom.. I was thinking it could be done if you just welded in the section of the roof that has the tops, but it might be better to swap the whole roof. which is what your friend says. thanks!

can you tell me about putting the EA82 radiator in your EA81 car?

thanks!

Yeah, Tim is still around and I am sure he'd be more than happy to help. I believe he had his welded from the pillars next to the WS up. It's not too difficult to line that up when it's cut. Any respectable body shop can easily do that, although like someone else said, it will cost you.

I have a top already cut out for you and the tops to go with it. PM me to make an offer if you need it. Boz

well if you were closer to wyo I could show you how to do it or better yet even do it for you for a small fee of course. I am a seasoned bodyman (16 yrs) and i've welded up many a roof skin combos not on a sube yet but it's just another car. complete roof would be best and easiest, with W/Shield and slider both out.:wave:

thanks to everyone here.

I will be taking a break from my job soon to take classes at the concrete workers' trade union, so I will definitely NOT be buying brat tops for at least a few months! But I would like to talk to Pat about his first (much closer to me) so I can have things lined up.

Jerry, would you and/or Pat be up for the actual install? Can't say when it will be except hopefully by the fall...

Concrete workers Union?? thats one hell of a lot of work.I hauled that stuff for 13 years before I got in a dump. If you want the top Email me I will work somthing out with you. I also have a nice set of fun tops I bought off Ebay a couple years ago for a hundred. let me know ........Pat hell give me a month Ill find you a gl.....hehe

Yeah, I'm probably going to start exercising before work starts to get a headstart on toughening up ..

it'll probably be a few months before i'm close to ready to act on the graft.

I might want to put in a new WS before then, but I'll get ahold of you after i'm done switching jobs and apartments about the purchase, at least. thanks.

thanks LUVMYBRAT, I'm not headed toward WY anytime soon but it's good to know that now.

Thanks Boz, I'll keep Pat's in mind first because he's much closer but I might give you a shout later this year.

Personaly, I'd go with Pats suggestion. Find a GL Brat instead of putting on a new top. The guy I had do mine was from Belarus (sp?). He said it took him more time to think it through then to actually put the roof in. I had Paul ship me the whole roof, cut about 6" down the pillars and post. It does leak a little bit, but not enough for me to worrie about, it's for the mud anyways. I have an album in the photos gallary so you can take a look. It would, I imagine, be easier putting it on a car that it was made for ie brat to brat.

from my body man..............

We have saying in Russia, um how do you say........ measure one hundred times, cut once