Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 subaru engine/ transmission swapping questions

For $50 each, I bought the following cars:

1985 Subaru wagon (Leone?, can't find anything that says the model) 1.8L turbo Automatic w/ pushbutton AWD (no low range)- good body and drivetrain, but engine was overheated and doesn't run

1985 Subaru wagon 1.8L non turbo 5 speed 4x4 w/ low range- Good engine and drivetrain, but car was rolled and body is trashed.

My goal is to build a little runaround car that is cheaper to drive than my work truck.

I'd prefer the 5 speed and 2 speed transfer case over the auto/hydraulic AWD setup. If I could rebuild the turbo engine, that would be cool as well. However, I want to get this car going, so if it's easier to build it as an auto/ non turbo, then I might go that route instead.

How hard would it be to swap the 5 speed and transfer case into the other car, vs adapting the non turbo motor to fit the auto tranny?

How would one go about determining if the turbo motor could be repaired?

Considering the parts that I have available, would it be possible to add a turbo to the non turbo engine?

Assuming that the turbo engine was able to be saved, how hard would it be to adapt it to fit the manual tranny?

Thank you for your time.

what you probably want to do is swap the engine/tranny/rear diff from the rolled car to the turbo. those turbo motors can be rebuilt but are a huge PITA when compared to the benefits of having them. a cheaper/better solution is a ej22 swap(legacy motor). if you just need a gas saver, stay simple. also the trannys are different ratio so swap the rear diff (or ring gear) as well.

good luck and welcome

RV

Will the car ECU play nice with the non turbo engine? The non turbo engine appears to be the version with a carburetor, while the turbo engine is MFI.

a cheaper/better solution is a ej22 swap(legacy motor).

what would this require?

Will the car ECU play nice with the non turbo engine? The non turbo engine appears to be the version with a carburetor, while the turbo engine is MFI.

what would this require?

there is a writeup in the USRM about the whole thing - not exactly an easy job...

applying the KISS principle here would be the best bet

good body + good non-turbo motor + 5spd dual range tranny = good reliable transportation that can also have a little fun offroad. :)

The auto in the 85 is a non electronic all you need to do is bolt up the engine swap the wiring to the dash and change the fuel pump plus a few other odds and ends. All the trans needs is a vac feed and it's good but as they say the 5 spd is much better. As long as you are a swapping wiring just swap it all from the dash forward.

If the turbo engine needs a head gasket, do both, replace the hoses and water pump, and be good to go.

Swap the 5spd into the good body. It is al bolt in. carry over the flywheel and its bolts, trans mount and its bolts, rear diff and drieshaft. Keep the disc brakes

swap the axles that go with the 5spd into the good body.

swap the pedal sets

swap the axles that go with the 5spd into the good body.

The car that rolled did so because the rear drivers side wheel fell off while driving, I bolted the spare on to winch it on the trailer, but something in that corner is locked up and the wheel doesn't turn. Could that potentially cause a problem with swapping the rear end?

If the turbo engine needs a head gasket, do both, replace the hoses and water pump, and be good to go.

If that's all it would take, then I'd go for it. How would I go about checking that it didn't warp the heads or something like that?