Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where to buy sheet metal?

idosubaru

I second old appliances. I used part of a furnace cover, some thinner metal from home depot(not cost effective in large quantities) and part of an xt fender.

The xt fender welded the best, being thicker. The xt metal was soft and pliable, versus the metal from home depot was stiffer and thinner.

The furnace cover was more like the metal on the car, softer and more bendy.

for rivet patching, i have used ductwork, roofing flash, and u-haul truck roof skins aluminum(the best!)

for rivet patching, i have used ductwork, roofing flash, and u-haul truck roof skins aluminum(the best!)
i've seen some of your posts and pictures miles - how do you do the rivet work/patching?

i doubt i'll weld, i can't imagine getting it to look right/set flush and grinding down the weld...seems like a mess. time is key here, i don't want this to take all day.

i'm just doing small areas in low visibility areas (bottom of car) - like 5x5" and most if it will be covered up by mudflaps so i'm not that worried about cosmetics.

get the rust out, water proof it and paint it something close to match. not a show car.

to do it with riveting. place the patch metal behind the original cars metal drill holes thru both, pop rivet in place. Then you need to get the rivets recessed, so give them a whack down with a ballpeen hammer to smash the metal down some to allow for a topcoat of filler, bondo etc.

- i do recommend a sealer between the seams to prevent moisture from occurring over time.

Back in the day a local shop used to cut new sunfoors into cars and trucks. I'd grab metal there - but that isn't done as much anymore.

I've been known to ask local body shops to keep damaged hoods and fenders to be metal donors. I have some stuff here to play with my MIG welder when I get a chance that came from the VW dealer bodyshop.

Duct work (galvanized) I believe makes toxic fumes if welded. I'm also not so sure how well putty and stuff sticks to it even if roughed up pretty good.

Just remember to use 1/8" rivets when possible to aid in hideing them later.

i have a wrecked fender and hood - not sure if the hood metal is useable or not, it's like two ply i imagine. i'll figure something out, you guys have given me enough options no doubt. looks like the neighbor has some trucks being parted out/repaired too.