Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Things to look for on 2g Brat?

Hi everyone. I've never owned a Subaru before and am looking at buying an '86 Brat. Aside from rust, what should I be looking at? Are any trim parts still available from the dealer or is it limited to just mechanical stuff? I've already talked to the owner on the phone and seems like a knowledgeable, stand up guy. I just want to make sure that when I show up to look at it and drive it that I don't miss any common areas of concern. Looks like I will need a replacement stock radio for it and a drivers seat cover to start with. Any idea where to track them down? Thanks in advance.

If a east coast person sells a Brat, it is usually because it is past its safety point with rust./ie it failed inspection and is a parts BRAT only.

You NEED to physically crawl under the BRAT, front and rear, and look at the frame rails and the rockers.

The BIG one on older Subarus is rust and hidden rust. Missing parts even rare ones can be found or made if you wait long enough and are prepared with a big enough budget. If you get something with so much rust in the cowl area that water pours on on the floor during every rain spell you will not be happy. This isn't easy to repair unless you really know what you are doing.

Look CAREFULLY at the area around the door hinges and at the rocker panels. Give a light pull on the wire grommet where is passes through from the door to the body. Does it feel like it's going to pull the surrounding metal out with it? A little surface rust here on a car that has been painted over can hide TONS of damage.

Also make sure the suspension is safe and solid where it mounts to the body as there really isn't any frame. On a Brat look at the wheel well areas in the bed and see if the shock mounts are rotting away at the top. Is the drivers seat about to fall through the floor when you sit in it? Look closely at the floor pan behind the seats, if it's even there is it all beat up, does it have a pool of water sitting in the low spots?

BTW look closely at the spare tire area under the hood, leaks here will poor right in on your feet. Pull the T-Tops if it has any and look for roof rot all around the area of the hinges and latches. Look for rot at the windshield pillers, ect. Again, crawl under it and look one more time for structural damage as mentioned above.

Good Luck and have fun!

Edited by Crazyeights

For the rest of you, this was the brat we got in ohio that originally came from florida. it is rust free by midwst standards. Althoughm with any car, rust prevention is recommended.

Hey jim, desmond said you would contact me for spare parts, so i can let you know what i have around.

For the rest of you, i'm sure jim wants to know what is expected to last, or is expected to wear out. And where to find odd interior pieces, etc.

I can attest to a hub and axle nut being replaced. (not the whole knuckle, but the outer hub that engages the axle)

This brat also has an ea82 engine and radiator.

Didna feel like readin.But , on 2nd gen brats the rear shock mounts up in the fenderwell is open.clean it out if it is worth it, then fill it in with your fancy,....be it foam,or some other filler.

what happens is thet it gets full of dirt, then holds water.the inside of the bed will rust first.so check the wheel wells in the bed.

any seams underneath. etc like has beeen said.

cheers