Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru #39 - Black 1989.5 RX coupe!

First I would like to thank a few board members for helping with making the process of getting this car a bit easier. Turbone, cap-n R and psyko all played a part in getting the car into my possession.

Now onto the car. Back in '04 I had picked up a black RX when I moved to Wyoming and spent 2 years getting it back onto the road with a built (or numerous) engine, 5-lug conversion 4EAT -> RX manual and so on. I ended up parting the car out and putting everything except the EA82T into my silver '87 GL coupe which I called an RX.

Well recently, some of you might have seen the black RX that markjw was selling that he had gotten from another guy that lurked on the USMB and NASIOC. The car passed hands to me finally and let me say, compared to my original black RX, this one has a clean body. Interior leaves something to be desired as it has an aftermarket sunroof in it which leaks bad. So my silver car (which has an EJ22T, Imp 5mt, 3.90VLSD, 5-lug, etc etc etc) is getting parted out and everything from it is going into the black RX:banana:

I have pics on my phone but I can't get them uploaded as of right now. If you've seen Turbone's RX then make a clone of it which is basically what I'm doing:lol:

I need to get you the title...

Oh and Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday forever and when do I get my parts? :-p

Shoot me a text with whatever parts you want off of it and when I get some free time I can get to pullin them. I just hadn't had a chance to call/text you yet. Been workin on my 6 to hopefully get it ready before the show...

Whatever parts he doesn't want that is drivetrain/engine/suspension will be for sale very soon.

I am sooo jealous! This would be the ultimate subaru to have in the driveway I reckon!

We missed out on the coupes let alone the RXII coupe down here :( Nor did we get the XT6 with all those extra good bits!

Maybe if George (lottery) is good to me I'll be able to import one some day from NZ! *Dreams*

Enjoy your L series coupe - Love them!

Cheers

Bennie

Just don't look at my signature then lol. My black XT6 AWD 5-speed with a rear LSD and my '87 coupe which has the EJ22t swap as well sitting in my driveway. The XT6 is getting a full engine reseal and newer front brakes and suspension too.

That's ok mate - I'll just live vicariously through you ;)

That is if you don't mind...

Cheers

Bennie

Hey Russ... Ultimate needs the trim on the pass-side rear window. Going to part that stuff out?

I might have extras but not sure as the black RX is also missing the trim on that side:rolleyes:. I know I got some extra trim from Corky about a year and a half ago but I'm not sure what all is there. I also have a set of brown EA82 coupe door panels.

Russ, keep me updated on those wheels! :grin:

Unfortunately the wheels are already gone mentally to me as they have already been claimed.

I will eventually be starting a new thread in the modifications forum for the swap. I plan on doing a few more things to the EJ22T (EJ20K heads, intake and so on) but I need to get my XT6 back onto the road and worthy of driving once again.:banana:

So because of this project, I was just planning on stripping the GL of all its worth and get rid of the main body. Well I've decided the silver GL will become my wheeler and once the XT6 and the RX are on the road, I'm going to do an EJ22E, d/r 5-speed and a 6" lift. I might also swap in an Outback rear subframe and suspension as well.

• 3 months later...

Well, the car has been sitting since I got it as I've been working on other projects (full engine reseal on my XT6 with better brakes and suspension).

Shortly after it arrived, psyko came up and snagged every suspension component, brakes, wheels, LSD and crossmembers out of it. Then another friend yarded the engine out and so its been sitting for 2 months on jackstands in the gravel next to my house. Yesterday I finally had some nice weather and some free time so the swapping commenced.

I pulled the VLSD out of the silver coupe a couple months ago and swapped it into my XT6, along with the rear axles as the ones on the 6 were tearing open so I didn't have that to deal with. First I dropped the old subframe out of the RX as the tube was still in it. Then I dropped the rear subframe out of the silver coupe and bolted it right up into the RX, followed by the shocks.

Then once it was bolted in (it will come out a bit later as the whole car is getting new undercoating once I get the car in the garage) I decided to gut the interior as it was very moldy and nasty from the sunroof in it. Just have the headliner, dash and steering column left in it. The metal body is getting a good wash before anything goes back into it as there's stuff stuck everywhere:Flame:

2035990860067339125S600x600Q85.jpg

2444735230067339125S600x600Q85.jpg

More work to come over the next couple months:D

I bet you were feeling guilty cause I'm getting stuff done on my SVX :-p

Nah, just got motivation to get it done so I can quit looking at it sitting on jackstands next to my house:-p

So I'm going to be out of town this weekend but the work is still slowly progressing. Been slowly working on getting the front end ready to come out of the GL and into the RX. Engine crossmember, complete suspension, and brakes need to make their way into the RX now and then once its in the garage, I can get the engine and transmission into it. I think while the front crossmember is out, I'm going to throw in my new XT6 steering rack and some Whiteline rack bushings:brow: