Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Standard Fuel Filler neck question

Well, last night I changed my spark plugs, wires and pcv valve on my 95 Outback and decided I would drive it today to work. This morning I stopped and filled the tank up. Coming home, I backed into my driveway and noticed I was leaking fuel like crazy. I immediately remembered all the threads on the rusty fuel filler neck rusting out and figured it had bit me too. I jacked it up at the rear diff and took the plastic guard off. A person could grow vegetation in there due to all the crap. Since it is the holiday, I have to wait till Tuesday to order a filler neck from the parts dept. My main question: can I replace the filler neck without having to drain the tank? That thing is sitting just a smidge above full on the gauge and worried it would dump it out when I start to remove it.

yeah it wont leak after the fuel stops moving around and because it's under the lvel where the hole is.. What I'm just saying just get it as low as you can.. Not sure how far you are from the gas station but tryin doing it when the gauge is on Empty.. trust me I can run my car till it's almost resting on the peg.

You can run the car till it's way below resting on the peg... then you can sputter along for another 5 miles to the gas station.

I think dealers and shops that know subarus tell you to take it in under 1/4 tank. I did mine at just below 1/4 tank and was fine, I definitely would NOT remove the filler with a full tank.

The fuel filler goes into the top of the tank. You may lose some fuel, but only until it is below the top of the tank. So, if you have the tank over filled, it may lose a little bit. I wouldn't worry about the amount you will lose though. Just get another neck and put it on.

You can run the car till it's way below resting on the peg... then you can sputter along for another 5 miles to the gas station.

I think dealers and shops that know subarus tell you to take it in under 1/4 tank. I did mine at just below 1/4 tank and was fine, I definitely would NOT remove the filler with a full tank.

have you ever looked inside the tank from Full to half a tank? not that much different visually..

I got the parts in yesterday. I had every intent on doing the job when I got home from work yesterday except it came a thunderstorm on my way home so I said screw it. 2 hours later I got stir crazy and decided to tackle the job.

Aside from it being a real tight fit, it wasn't that bad. I did notice one thing between the old part and the new one. The old one had an orange flapper valve at the end of the neck where it met the gas tank hose and the other one did not. I didn't want to develop some issues where the pump would not kick off when fuel was almost full so I swapped it into the new one. Better safe than sorry. it caught me off guard because every post I read did not mention that valve.

First time checking this thread in a while. We welcomed our first born on Wednesday, little boy. Trying to adjust to the new swing of things.

Yeah, it wasn't a fun job to do in my driveway at 9 at night with a flashlight in my mouth.