Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Legacy Auto trans swap.. whats needed??

skater1874

Swaps Almost done, engine is all ready. but confused on trans.

trans is out of a 94 legacy Automatic FWD going in a 93 Loyale automatic FWD?

When pulling the old trans out i noticed the shifter cable is on the left side of the EA trans when its on the Right side of the EJ trans? what would i need.. All the shifter Stuff out of a legacy or can i use the Ea. And trans mounts look similar but not sure??

all 4EAT inhibitor switches (the shifting mechanism you're talking about) are on the right side like the EJ you're looking at. look and see what you got and make it work. shifter and cable is centrally located and easy to access, should be real simple to figure that out. if the EA cable doesn't work, get an EJ. or just get both and see which is easiest to route.

on the cable i'd rather have an exact match on the inhibitor switch side than the shifter side if they're different - so i'd have an EJ on hand if they look different at all.

you're going from a 3AT to a 4EAT? that's cool. are you swapping in the EJ TCU and wiring as well?

awesome man you're hardcore, that's great.

the trans will run default in 3rd gear mechanically without any TCU being hooked up - so you can install it and drive if you want. i've driven one for like a year like that before (because it had shifting issues and rust made it pointless to properly fix). it's a little gutless from a start....it would be a terrible idea for an EA82/EA81/EJ18 but anything else should be fine for a daily driver until you work out the kinks.

start a thread about TCU pinouts from the FSM. i have them for the trans you need but i'm not in a position to do much right now, someone else will hook you up.

here's the AT control wiring diagram from the FSM - best i can do with limited time and only 50 kb allowed attachment:

the dropping resistor isn't necessary - but simple wiring anyway. i disconnect them on XT6's to firm up the 2nd-3rd shift which tends to lag in those.

post-6800-136027648724_thumb.jpg

Edited by grossgary

Wow, you are hardcore, FWD even.

The TCU and ECU are seperate systems, the only thing in common is the RPM signal with the first gen stuff anyways. As long as you tap into the right wires for all the sensors the TCU needs, you should be able to get it to work just fine. I modded a legacy TCU and made it fit into my loyale, so it's possible to do. Granted I had a 4eat to start with, but it's possible to adapt the TCU.

https://picasaweb.google.com/harris.donald/Loyale

That should give you plenty of info about the 4eat, as well as some of my random pics, but you can see all the info I posted. Too many pics to link to individually. Also look up my paddle shifter build thread, TONS of info about the trans and wiring in it. Some of the diagrams are for the older 4eat (before the legacy), but you can figure out which is which.

Hope that helps!

thanks for the help... its my first swap so i kinda dont know a whole lot on it..

in your pic it showed you soldering wires and taking the box apart? would i have to do that or whould i just be finding the Existing EA wire and conecting them to the EA TCU.. im pretty much done with the swap all im at is the ecu and tcu :confused:.. so at this point i really and confused.

Unless you want to add paddle shifters, then no, you don't need to do any soldering with the tcu. Just add it in. I was referring to the pics of the pinouts and that sort of thing, not of the modding of the TCU.

Like I said my paddle shifter build thread has lots of info in it as well that will probably be of use.

Really the only thing the two need that are in "common" is the tach signal. Everything else is "shared". The TPS, VSS, those sensors are all shared by both the TCU and the ECU, they don't "feed" each other if you will, they share the signal. Since the EJ switched to wasted spark, there is no way to get a tach signal from the "coil", so you must get it from the ECU. This is the only way to get a tach signal from the EJ motor, and it is also the only wire that you need from the ECU going to the TCU. Everything else is shared...