Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Points to Ponder..Don't Shoot the Messenger

Back in the olden days, I purchased my 'ru based on it's consistently high reliability rating in Consumer's Reports.

What the hell has happened?

True or False Test:

Subaru Baja was found to have below average first year reliability.

Among family sedans, Chevy Malibu, Hyundai Sonata, and Nissan Altima rank better than Subaru Legacy.

Buick, Hyundai, Jeep, and Chrysler had fewer reported problems than Subaru in 2003. In fact, Subaru was even ranked below average.

For 2001’s and 1999’s, Subaru was not rated as consistently reliable.

The Chevy Impala and Buick Century fared better in the reliability category than the Subaru Legacy Outback.

You can find the answers in the April Consumer’s Reports.

After reading this board and while not suffering anything major yet,Im starting to think my car will just fall apart into a thousand pieces whilst driving one day.

I hope it doesnt because at the moment its my only transport while project WRX killer is being rebuilt.:D

I don't know...

People seem quick to want to blame GM for ... What, shall we call it? A slump by Subaru?

GM just simply hasn't been involved long enough to be (much of) a factor. With car development cycles being what they are, we are "just" reaching the point where there may be some GM influence. They only own 20%... of the parent company...

One thing I would say is growing pains. Subaru has set a lot of new sales records over the past few years (in North America).

My 2 cents.

Commuter

2001 legasy wasn't very good you say.... my dad has been driving his and it hasn't even needed a real tune up(110k km on it) it only went in to the shop for a real problem is when my bro got t-boned and the whole passenger side was smashed... but funny enough you couldn't tell anything was wrong from the inside... good safety...:D

I also wonder if the rise in "ricers" being fond of Impreza's/WRX has any effect on the reliability ratings. Im sure some of these aren't being treated "ideally" thus the lower than usual reliability ratings. Additionally, there probably arent that many folks racing Buick's, Hyundai's, and Jeeps. Just a thought...

Go to carsurveys.org and take note that it is the models sold in North America that some people are disappointed in. All of the reviews I read from Europe and Asia are favourable. This could be because only North America (and since 2003 Australia) has to have that **^%#^&%&..... 2.5L engine. Is there any way to compare reliability between Subarus made in Japan and those made in USA? I blame SOA for the reliability downfall for the models made in USA, and for meddling with the engine.

As for I know, at least in the Netherlands and in Germany the Sub is far out elected as the most reliable car in diffrent polls. After that for a long time you won't have nothing and than Toyota. No problems at all with mine (Outback 2.5 auto 1998). The major hassle is cleaning the outside now and then (and getting the smell of sheer enjoy of driving a nice car out of the interior).

If I could find a mint 1995 Legacy L like I have now...i'd buy it in a heartbeat. I don't really know if I want to drop down $20k for a 2004 Legacy L...they are not as nice looking...the fake wood trim...and some say they are not very reliable. I am sure they are more reliable than the Buicks and etc. that beat them in that article...just depends on how you care for it. The Legacy we have now didn't go in for any of the check ups. We changed the oil every 3,000 miles and used a Subaru filter. The timing belt lasted 190,000 miles...and so did the clutch. Right now there is almost 210,000 miles on it..and still going. I know I will be disapointed if I don't see 200k miles on ...but I think with proper care it'll outlast any other vehicle around $20,000.

Originally posted by watjekouw

As for I know, at least in the Netherlands and in Germany the Sub is far out elected as the most reliable car in diffrent polls. After that for a long time you won't have nothing and than Toyota. No problems at all with mine (Outback 2.5 auto 1998). The major hassle is cleaning the outside now and then (and getting the smell of sheer enjoy of driving a nice car out of the interior).

Where are the European Legacys/Outbacks assembled?

Yep most of them do. But I was told that Some Subaru's made for Great Britain were made in the US (around 1996).

I have a US Outback (built november 1995 & model 1996) but the engine says: made in Japan. Same as most of the other parts.

Before i owned the Subie (96 Liberty LX AWD 5spd) dont know exactly what that converts to in Legacy for you guys, i had a Porsche 944. Purchase price was about the same.

I ended up putting 15,000km on the porsche in a little over 3 years, and it spent a FULL YEAR AND A HALF in various garages being fixed for various problems.

The day i sold it, it started overheating.

It was just plain trouble.

Now i have the subie, 17,000km in 4 months the ODO reads 180,000km (Porsche read 75,000km) and all i have had done is a minor service and a new battery last weekend (i put 3 new batterys in the porsche).

Its by far the best car i have ever been in, it has comfortable interior, plenty of stuff that other similarly priced cars forget to include, like a tacho for instance..

And it just runs and runs, gets great mileage, sounds awesome with that boxer under the hood, looks smooth and nice.

I just dont know what more you could want in a car.

This car has already given me the feeling that if i lost it right now, i would have gotten my moneys worth.

Strange thing is, everyone in Australia seems to agree that for reliability and value for money you cant go past Subaru, yet even with that mindset people still dont buy em. Strange.

Originally posted by JaapH

Yep most of them do. But I was told that Some Subaru's made for Great Britain were made in the US (around 1996).

I have a US Outback (built november 1995 & model 1996) but the engine says: made in Japan. Same as most of the other parts.

The engines and transmissions for the North American built cars are built in Japan.

To answer Adge-082: same in Holland. There was a time I wouldn't like people seeing me near a Subaru, until a colleague of mine let me drive in his Legacy. I fell for it (her?). Everybody knows about the good quality of the car and the satisfaction owners have, still they are not sold in large numbers.