Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no pressure coming out of Main vents 1984 subaru brat

I just got the A/C to work in my 84' BRAT and it is ice cold but there is hardley any air pressure coming out of my vents. there is just barely what you could call a small breeze coming in. i have also pulled down the cover for the evaporator and it is all clear. haven't checked heater core. is this all that car was designed to push? i live in utah and those 100+ degree days are coming up and i would like it to put out more.

Ya i took off the cover for the evaporator and cleaned out what i could and the fan is strong and all the other vents put out about the same pressure. tried to check the air inlets (took the whole cowl assembly off) and i couldn't see any obstructions but i couldn't get my hand down there.

if you got access to compressed air nozzle, you can turn it to heat, and aim the air into the center vents right behind the radio. then open it to part defrost and blow more air in. I think thats how i got most of my gunk out (that process sort of backflows up toward the top. ....every once in a while while driving down the road at warp speed and turning fan on high, i can get a little bit more out....

When I took my climate controls apart to grease up the mechanisms, I noticed that the plastic vent tube that connected the two main vents to the rest of the system was disconnected and sagging a bit. It wouldn't rest in place correctly, it seemed there was some insulation that held it in place at one point and simply disintegrated over time, so I had to use zip ties. Works great now!

Here's a picture (unrelated vehicle) of what I'm trying to explain, notice the foam rim around the opening, it's exactly what's come undone in your situation, I'm sure.

image021.jpg

Hope this helps!

I have an 85 Brat. My A/c gets down to 40 F on a 93 F day. But, cold air only comes out of the center vent. With just a VERY little bit of cold air out of the other vents. I took the fan out and cleaned the blades, and cleaned out the electric motor. I have real good quiet fan speed, just almost ALL of the air comes out the middle vent !

Tony P

• 1 month later...
full of nesting material is most likely. did you say you removed the blower motor and checked where it blows thru the evaporator for junk?

I just turned on Mad Max's blower this weekend.:lol:

Got showered with grass and bits of weeds seeds and sticks.

Took about 15 minutes to blow it all out.

I hate mice...