Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my new rally project

stigeek

loong time no post here! was playing w/ a legacy turbo for the past couple years, but had to get this!! 1987 rx, awd with d/r tranny & electronic center diff lock i picked up down in portland yesterday. got it for $700.00. runs and drives pretty well. towed it back and didnt get back til 3 a.m!

P1050096.jpg

this is the perverbial "owned by a little old lady for 13 years car"! she took really good care of it, but it looks like its had an oil leak for the past few years! it has the most caked on grease i've ever seen on the underside of a car. yuck. the interior is in fantastic shape, the seat vinyl doesn't even have any cracks in them. all the rest of the interior is pretty nice too, non-smoker, no pets, excellent. I WILL BE SELLING OFF THE MAJORITY OF SAID INTERIOR IN THE NEAR FUTURE MINUS THE HEADLINER, DASH, STEERING WHEEL. all of it is in great condition. look for it soon in the classifieds here and on craigslist.

now, a couple more pics....

this is my buddy jarred removing the rear driveshaft

P1050100.jpg

getting gas in chehalis @ midnite.

P1050107.jpg

freekin' greasey bee-hatch!!

P1050111.jpg

more grease...looks like one of the many leaks is right here, the only clean spot!

P1050110.jpg

the plan for this is to have a reliable car to use for rally, rally-x and even some auto-x for shakedowns. budgeting $3,000 for the build. my friend jarred(under the car) is my mechanic and co-driver, and i will be handling the metal fabrication and driving. oh yeah, maybe blast the crap off the bottom of it. hoping to have it ready for winter auto-x and maybe a snow rally or two in spokane this year. ultimate goal is to have it DONE by spring and ready to go to any event in the northwest, n. cali, and nevada.

a motor swap is going to happen over the winter, 2.2, or 2.5? opinions either way? stay tuned for lots of pics, and ensuing shenannigans to be happening in this rig. btw, when the hell is wcss? cant seem to find any info on it.

Edited by stigeek

weird, but i just noticed that my profile says "new user". is that due to not posting for a year or so? ive been a registered user here for years. not that it really matters, but hey, what up with my post-count?!

You wouldnt happen to know anything about lowering an 87 GL hatch would you? I want to take it on the track this year and would like some infor on the easiest way to do so. ( any other cheap easy mods to help with racing would aslo be appreciated )

Thanks, T.B.0.

You wouldnt happen to know anything about lowering an 87 GL hatch would you? I want to take it on the track this year and would like some infor on the easiest way to do so. ( any other cheap easy mods to help with racing would aslo be appreciated )

Thanks, T.B.0.

You can search. That's how I learned how to lower my Brat. Aside from that, improve the driver, then you'll start to know which parts of your car you want to improve. Then you can search here on how to improve those parts.

Jacob

Thanks Renob, ill give it a go. :P you wouldnt be able to post a link to a lowering thread would you? or where to start looking on here?

Search for threads started by carfreak85. They'll be in the Old Gen or Retrofitting sections.

Jacob

t.b.o: i dont even know if i'll bring it. it needs much love. the main seal, valve cover gaskets, c.v.'s, shifter bushings, all need replacement. it does run pretty well though. IF i could get these things done in the next week or two, then i'd tow it there to mess around with, but i wont be confident in its ability to reliably carry me a long distance. it would provide someone out there at the show who's been looking for an interior for their r.x. to pick this one up straight out of the car.

me, the wife and the kidling will be attending the show and camping fri/sat for sure. my daughter is stoked to go and camp and see cars. her and i are going to the d-1 drift races the 22nd at evergreen speedway. anyone here attending that?