Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A thread for twitch. (I love my Jeep)

ezapar

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Turning left yesterday, onto my street from my kid's school. The guy turning left from my street onto 8th wasn't looking and went while I was in front of him. He crashed into the side of my Jeep. His head light was busted, his grill crunched on his early gen prius or echo looking car. If you look closely, you can see the white in two places on my Jeep where his paint rubbed off.

Needless to say. . .  I love my Jeep.

post-129-0-33347200-1424799887_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Stupid imageshack is down, so pics ain't showin' up right now.

So for the time being, we use attachments.   

I had an extra 3 0r 4 hun laying around that I figured I'd throw at Butch.  I KNOW I need shocks, the bushings are cracked and toast.  But I also wanted adjustable rear control arms so I could angle the pinion up a little so I could get rid of the spacers lowering the transfer case.

So I decided to do the arms first.   It turned out to be pretty cut and dry, a pretty simple swap as far as things go.   

post-129-0-49679600-1443716986_thumb.jpg  post-129-0-57299200-1443717105_thumb.jpg

It turns out, I chose correctly.  I was > < so close to some serious carnage.   Get a load of the busted upper control arm from the passenger side.  

post-129-0-02253100-1443717216_thumb.jpg  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The bushings were all shot, 110k and 11 years of being in there.  The guy before me clearly wheeled it a lot.  I've put a ton of off road miles on it, I know they've taken a serious beating.  

The uppers are indeed thinner.  But they won't rub against rocks or anything like that. Compared to the stock arms, they're pretty beefy.  Plus, they are screwed all the way in pretty much.  They're adjustable enough to be also used on the LJ.  I have confidence.  

It rides so much better now, all the clunks and bangs over bumps are gone.  I still have to replace the front uppers with new ones to iron out the last of the bad bushings.  Then the shocks and it should ride like new.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I haven't checked in for a while.  

I took it up to Snoqualmie with my brother and my old Toyota to play in the snow.  Found a couple of feet of snow at the top of the hill.  We made a little fire and had a good time for a bit.  I tried some crazy stuff and broke a front axle.  Had to do the walk of shame and pull out my winch while trudging through feet of snow in front of the guy who'd showed up in his Big ol' Toyota.  Then I had to nurse it down the hill at about 4 mile per hour for about an hour to get it to get towed.  I didn't have any tools, and there was no chance of getting a replacement axle on Saturday night.  So I had to do the ride of shame too.

post-129-0-75282700-1449940483_thumb.jpg

But there are bright sides to the story.  I was so happy I wasn't half way up Evans Creek somewhere when it blew.  It was all down hill to get back to the highway.   It turns out I have a Dana 44 in the front too.  hey.  Here I was thinking I had a 30.  hehe.  And the biggest blessing is just how easy it is to change out an axle.  Far easier than any Subaru axle I've ever done.  And I've done a TON of them.

Waiting for the new axle to show up on Monday.

post-129-0-02777300-1449940808_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

2004.  That last part is Greek to me.

Butch got her some new shoes after some long time.  Going from ATs to MTs should really make the trails my beeeyotch.   Stayed with 33s.  The set up I have is a great mix of potential daily driver and off roader.

(I love our "mini" van too twitch)   

HcAT9j.jpg

4vYY0R.jpg

6hGyKU.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...