Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1-3-2-4's head gasket replacement

my other stuff came in today... hmm is it just me or the intake gaskets larger in opening size then the ej22?

DSC_2495.jpg

I have 2 questions about the slave cylinder what end sticks into the boot part and for the clutch fork for the ball pivot what grease should I use? One site I saw had some kind of red looking stuff but I don't think they ever posted the name of it.

must be the blunt end of it

Edited by 1-3-2-4

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a good time to use Amazon 1 month prime trial.. next day for the clutch kit for $3.99 can't beat that with a stick! I just hope my card wont get hacked like it did last time :-/

For people that did this before did you label or take a lot of pictures or do both? It's going to be messy for 2 days then I have a break in the weather... I hope to do some time lapse stuff

Yes, you have to unbolt the header from the heads. No you don't have to drop the header completely.

Just let it hang, it will be supported just fine with the mount that comes down from the transmission. If that mount is missing/broken off, use a cloths hanger or something to keep the exhaust system up.

When pulling an engine, I've never done more than just unbolt it from the head.

I'm doing the drivers side bolt for the tranny.. but unless I'm in the wrong spot I just see the nut and not the bolt & nut which the bolt would be above the nut? Unless Subaru changed something which I don't think they did.. but the whole underside of the car is covered in oil/tranny oil and whatever the hell was leaking from the motor.

IMAG0692.jpg

Edited by 1-3-2-4

That appears to be the bottom driver's side nut. That one is a pain to access...

I'm not completely sure what you're asking, maybe I'm reading wrong. But you're looking for a bolt head somewhere?

The bottom two are studs that thread into the engine bell housing and go all the way through the transmission bell housing with a nut on the back side. There's no bolt so to speak because it just threads into the block. They're about 6" long studs.

Sometimes the nut sticks and threads the stud out of the block. Don't worry if that happens. Pull the engine and deal with it when the engine is out of the way I just put a vicegrip on the middle of the stud and get the nut off. No big deal.

maybe the impreza model has that bolt and I don't? Here is what im talking about

Where it says lower trans bolt you see it has two in that area I don't I just have the bolt and speaking of that someone was smart to put never seize on it but the passenger side bolt is missing/

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t63237-diy-engine-removal.html

maybe the impreza model has that bolt and I don't? Here is what im talking about

Where it says lower trans bolt you see it has two in that area I don't I just have the bolt and speaking of that someone was smart to put never seize on it but the passenger side bolt is missing/

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t63237-diy-engine-removal.html

I see nowhere it states the year of that car, but it has a phase2 engine. Meaning it's 99+

In 99 they added extra trans/engine mounting bolts. IIRC yours is a 97, so it just has the two bottom studs and the two bolts at the top.

I see nowhere it states the year of that car, but it has a phase2 engine. Meaning it's 99+

In 99 they added extra trans/engine mounting bolts. IIRC yours is a 97, so it just has the two bottom studs and the two bolts at the top.

hmm learn something new each day.. ok back to wrenching :)

how many bolts should I be looking for on the bellhousing? so far I just see the two lowers and the starter area.

The bottom starter bolt is a stud into the transmission bell housing. Has nothing to do with bolting to the engine.

The top starter bolt goes through engine and transmission, there's one on the other side. And the two bottom studs. Take off the pitch stopper, and that should be it.

There are two steel pins that align the engine and transmission. And they get wicked stuck. Jam screwdrivers, prybars, etc, etc into the crack to get the engine loose. It can take some beating sometimes. Just work at it, it'll go eventually.

craap I had to stop tonight because I did not know what size hex those screws are for the steel rear separator plate.

I got as far as cutting open the sealant and seen that none of my allen wrenches fit.

Now as far as that EGR line to the head I got the lower one out by using channel locks since my 17mm flare wrench was just rounding the nut..

I haven't done the top one yet.. I've been using liquid wrench which is meh.. my kroil wont get here until it's too late but at least I got two large cans.

I have a lot of pictures to follow.

Ok picture time!

worked out great but the bolt was like finger tight really very little effort.

IMAG0690.jpg

DSC_2542.jpg

DSC_2581.jpg

DSC_2582.jpg

DSC_2618.jpg

Why so much grease??

DSC_2592.jpg

DSC_2616.jpg

DSC_2610.jpg

I was told a new clutch was installed.. I've only put like 6k on the car since I got it.

DSC_2603.jpg

DSC_2601.jpg

DSC_2617.jpg

DSC_2614.jpg

I can't tell if the rear seal is leaking a bit

DSC_2611.jpg

Yours has Torx bits for the rear plate? I've only seen them with #3 Philips screw heads (On 3 different motors)

The problem with attemping to replace the rear main is, pressing the new one in square, a little bit off and it will leak (Probably worse then before)