Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ alternator on a EA82?

tractor pole

I rewired my alt now its charging a steeedy 14.5 Volt is that goood or whats the correct chage voltage rate?

would you post some pics of how you rewired? just since im sure people are going to ask in the future. and i'd be interested in seein it as well.

For an example, and while this is usually the method of sorting out an issue (sorry xbeerd) with a photo, in this case you simply cannot state that your alternator has two wires or three, the alternator's wiring diagram is what is key to this issue.

if your alternator has lost it's sticker, which can happen, you need to find someone with the same alternator or a wiring diagram for that model of alternator to work it out. If the letters don't line up, as in there are different letters used then they will have to be found out before you can match it up with the diagram below. I would like to note again that the below diagram isn't the answer to all alternator wiring conversions, it is for the Gen1 and I believe Gen2 alternators...

I hope this helps out, it all comes down to the wiring/plug diagrams!

Cheers

Bennie

its ok, i'll get over it, but anyways... are you referring to the plug diagram that is on the right side of my pic? labelling S and L in the plug?

Should be between 14.4v and 14.5v. So you are good to go!

Just make sure you keep an eye on it to make sure its not boiling over!

thanks thats a releif

would you post some pics of how you rewired? just since im sure people are going to ask in the future. and i'd be interested in seein it as well.

Ill try to

yes the two wire ej alts have s & L s= sense (12v +) Which is the thickest wire, and L which is the charging lamp on the gauge cluster. i swapped a 2005 impreza alt into my 95 leg wagon and had to go through this. i had the same wires as is in the pic. just splice and go :)

yes the two wire ej alts have s & L s= sense (12v +) Which is the thickest wire, and L which is the charging lamp on the gauge cluster. i swapped a 2005 impreza alt into my 95 leg wagon and had to go through this. i had the same wires as is in the pic. just splice and go :)

So you are sayin I'm good as is? S and L straight to S and C with no need for ign connection?

Edited by xbeerd
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Because if thats the case, then i probably have a failing alternator as my battery isnt being charged and its brand new.

95legwagon

yes the two wire ej alts have s & L s= sense (12v +) Which is the thickest wire, and L which is the charging lamp on the gauge cluster. i swapped a 2005 impreza alt into my 95 leg wagon and had to go through this. i had the same wires as is in the pic. just splice and go

So you are sayin I'm good as is? S and L straight to S and C with no need for ign connection?

• 2 years later...

wanted to bring this up again, I just did a 88 GL  ea82 swap to 90 EJ22 and wired the alt as In my drawing, but the battery volts are at 15.6 with a new battery, so my question is what should the voltage be ( 14.4-14.5) and does this mean my alternator is bad? also I noticed in the EJ harness the white wire on the round plug is hooked to the  white wire at the alt. stud Output, should I hook those 2 together just like in the EJ ?

Edited by Scott in Bellingham

Scott here's how the 3 plug EJ alt should be in the EA car.

White wire = tied to the main charge wire  (good idea to make new charge wire back to battery through fusible link)

Black/white= "charge" Lamp (L) goes to EA white/red wire....looks like you;ve got that right

Yellow= Switched power.....and this will be were the regulator sees reference voltage......Can go to EA Black/white (Ig. +) or to the Yellow wire of EJ harness like it was in the Legacy........It just needs switched power.

Edited by Gloyale