Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No...no no no, power. Power is lacking.

Back in the day, I had this weighted down GL-10 wagon, turbo mind you, with a bottomless intake box and hacked off muffler, and a 3at...it kicked butt. Grand Am GT, in the dust, Honda Vtech, in the dust, pretty much anything except for high end V6 and V8 cars of the like...otherwise, id outrun it. Top speed was not high, but on the dash from 0 to 100, id beat it.

Thats the GL-10 in the sig...wont quite do that now, but it will sure out handle anything now.

So...my new toy, the RX, would do all that and more...it was even faster...but it pooped on me, and its sitting...

Now, on to the DL. I thought the SPFI had potential....well, not that I can find.

77k miles on it...Delta Cams (677-260, same as what was in my RX), 3 inch cone filter on maf adapter plate bolted on the maf, and hacked off muffler...timing advanced to the edge...93 octane fuel...new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fresh t-belts, sythetic 10w-30 oil, Wix Filter, 155/80/13 front tires (waiting to be replaced with fresh 205/60/13 BFG's...) And...well, thats it. Its a DL, with power steering as the only option. A/C removed...otherwise, its a stripped really.

Its still slow as crap. Loud and slow....like all the other ricecars out there...except mine is even slower.

I know the 3AT isnt taking all that extra power, my turbo did great with the 3at, i still wish i had it.

What to do...what to do....

drop a turbo engine in there, other wise I doubt theres much more you can do....wait......do the exhaust(make headers, 2 inch all the way back) and see what that does. also shouldn't the cam grind be more agressive in N/a's? (overlap, lift)

well.. i don't think its your car.. its all spfi soobs in general, lol..

my 3at wagon was loud and slow too.. made the RX feel like a rocket, lol.. i'll report back and let ya know if my wagon gets any better when it gets a 5-speed.. my guess is it should at least be a little quicker than 0-60 in 35.4.. haha:eek:

Originally posted by Meeky Moose

well.. i don't think its your car.. its all spfi soobs in general, lol..

my 3at wagon was loud and slow too.. made the RX feel like a rocket, lol.

i agree. I'm really unimpressed with Subaru's SPFI. My SPFI 4WD 3AT wagon is pretty soggy/doggy. I've driven a couple of 5 spd SPFI wagons, and they're better, but still not good (of course, I haven't cut up the air filter box yet, either ;) )

Then I drove an '86 RX, and Wow! It's hard to believe it's the same basic engine. The MPFI intake ports are almost double the size of the SPFI in total, then add in the turbo. What a difference!

Well, the more i drive it, the more it seems to wake up...so, it cruises at 95~100 with little problem. Screaming at 5k....until the cam sprocket comes loose, and the belt walks off, and ther is a POP and no more power.....

Luckily it was the passenger side belt, the little pin that is supposed to be in the cam was gone, andone bolt worked out...so antoher bolt, and it was a 5 min fix on the side of the hwy. LOL. this happend this morning on the way to work.

The two bolts left had worked a groove in the cam pully/gear/sprocket/whever its called, so i had a spare cam box with me...and replaced the pin and pully right after work, and went on like nothing.

No T-belt covers rock. 5 min job...instead of a 2 hr one.

So anyhow, it seems to be happy now. Just needs some new front axles, tires and a few things here and there....and REALLY needs Cruise control.

Originally posted by WJM

...until the cam sprocket comes loose, and the belt walks off . . .

Um, that's why there's Locktite and a torque spec.

No T-belt covers rock. 5 min job...instead of a 2 hr one.

Or . . . do it once . . .

Or do the cam sprockets come off all the time on their own, and I just don't know about it?

nah, i just like beign able to see the belt condition at a glance, and if one breaks, it a 10 min job to replace it....

Ive NEVER had a cam sprocket come loose like that before....i hope it will never again. I will make sure of it too.

that little pin that was missing actually locates the gear so that when set up,your valve timing is bang on,so,that side of the engine was probably out of time before.

good thing the belt came off or you may have been suffering with a dog engine for a long long time!

Don't feel bad, my Suby is in DIRE need of an engine rebuild. No oomph what so ever. Like it takes 1/2 mile just to get to 55?:eek: Been driving the van lately, lotso go go power but............wait, wasn't that gas guage just at half? naaaa couln't have used a 1/4 of a tank already, could it?:banghead: I MISS MY SUBARU!!!

with a 5spd my car is farely gutsy, but it still has very little top end. I can smoke the front tires for ever, and it can really throw your head back in low, but once I get past 4000 its just making noise. It jumps off the line faster than the turbowagon ever did, but when this car gets to 4000 theres no turbo to rescue it. It's still a jump from driving the POS fully loaded 3400lb 86 honda accord with 90hp and an automatic :D