Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to identify d/r 5sp??

I'm back in the market for old Sube's again but have a question: how do I visually tell if a particular Sube with 5sp manual has the dual-range transfer? Aside, of course, from the obvious lack of the orange button atop the shifter. Included is a pic of an '88 GL wagon I'm looking at, owner isn't the actual driver/operator and couldn't tell me if it was or wasn't. Thanks in advance.

photo5small.jpg

That's what I was figuring, just couldn't remember for certain with all the combinations over the years. Was looking for the sticker (can see now where it used to be) or the fat handle for hi/lo from the EA81 years. Hopefully be picking this one up by the weekend for $700, 99% rust-free but needed some interior love. Thanks guys.

The other way to make sure the gearbox is actually a dual range under the bonnet is to make sure there's the little lever above the front diff on your passenger's side - it should have a rod attached to it that disappears into the trans tunnel with the rest of the gearbox.

This will make certain that the gearbox IS a dual range and not a single range with all the appropriate levers in the cab for the dual range ;) Who knows, the gearbox may have been swapped for a single range just to keep the owner going - stranger things have happened!

Cheers

Bennie

The other way to make sure the gearbox is actually a dual range under the bonnet is to make sure there's the little lever above the front diff on your passenger's side - it should have a rod attached to it that disappears into the trans tunnel with the rest of the gearbox.

This will make certain that the gearbox IS a dual range and not a single range with all the appropriate levers in the cab for the dual range ;) Who knows, the gearbox may have been swapped for a single range just to keep the owner going - stranger things have happened!

Cheers

Bennie

just one problem with that theory - the lever is attached to the trans - not the interior of the car - so if the dr was pulled/swapped, the lever would be missing as well. :rolleyes:

Okay, here's the rub. I'm down to deciding between two Subie's up for sale at the moment; the 88 GL with dual-range, and a 91 Loyale with push-button.....

Which would be the better choice, all else with the wagons being on par? I plan on doing some limited off-roading, but not any serious rock crawling or anything, lol. The plan is to have this as my year-round, practical vehicle, especially for during the winter.

They are both fuel injected... so you dont have that big of a difference...

I dont do any serious offroading... but I love the D/R 4X4 vs the P/B 4X4.

I have had a 1992 Loyale and now a 1986 GL sedan (current DD)

My current has a weber carburetor where as the Loyale was fuel injected, but the only options that were "nicer" about the Loyale would be the auto seat belts, which I found to be PITA and the high rise console (which actually is pretty cool and has more storage options)

I guess use price, mileage, maintenance (this is big), vehicle interior, exterior conditions.

Also, look for the "needs to be replaced soon" projects VS recently replaced parts.

Subarus are amazing machines :banana: but Ive seen them get neglected and then people say "oh that car was a piece of crap, cant believe I bought it" and I tell them "Shoulda kept up on the maintenance, no car is indestructible, but Subarus are damn close"

Perhaps some more background on both the cars?

Just got back from taking a look at the 91 Loyale... in the midst of a torrential downpour lol.

NO RUST. This is a major major plus favoring it over the 88 GL that I'm also considering. Only damage is a dented passenger fender and missing grill; paint looked amazing for 20 years but then she was wet with rain. Interior fair to good condition, push-button 4wd, all power options. Only needs a new battery and eventually cv shafts. And the owner dropped his price. The fact that the 88 has been somewhat more neglected (trashed inside by pet dog) and a bit ghetto-fied (spray bomb flat black rocker panels? c'mon...) may have pushed the fact that it has d/r out of the picture. The straighter body wins, as I can grab a d/r if I really want one from the local pic'n'pull.

Probably sign the title on the Loyale Thursday :grin::banana:

just one problem with that theory - the lever is attached to the trans - not the interior of the car - so if the dr was pulled/swapped, the lever would be missing as well. :rolleyes:

Not necessarily true. The low range lever can still be mounted in the cab with the gearselector and not be connected to the gearbox for gear changing purposes - it is part of the gear selector setup, while this setup is bolted to the back of the gearbox for stability and connected to the gearbox's selector shaft, the 4wd high/4wd low selector lever can be tied off safely from harms way - thus a single range 4wd gearbox can be installed in an originally factory dual range fitted L series with the two levers still present.

This is what I was trying to get at...

Good to hear you've got a choice SmashedGlass - always a good position to be in ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Not necessarily true. The low range lever can still be mounted in the cab with the gearselector and not be connected to the gearbox for gear changing purposes - it is part of the gear selector setup, while this setup is bolted to the back of the gearbox for stability and connected to the gearbox's selector shaft, the 4wd high/4wd low selector lever can be tied off safely from harms way - thus a single range 4wd gearbox can be installed in an originally factory dual range fitted L series with the two levers still present.

This is what I was trying to get at...

Good to hear you've got a choice SmashedGlass - always a good position to be in ;)

Cheers

Bennie

ok, i suppose it is possible then, BUT, WHY would someone go to all of the trouble of disconnecting the lever from the trans, leaving it in the car and tying it off, if the trans is being pulled & replaced?? that just doesnt make "logical" sense to me... :rolleyes:

the only reason i see for doing that is if you are trying to pull a fast one on some unsuspecting newbie....

:lol: I am not laughing at what happened, just that you called him an "rump roast-clown" :lol: I havent heard that name in forever...

Well, at least you get the D/R tranny... and who knows... That Loyale might have an issue that youre not aware of that you can be glad youre not getting :banana:

I hope you still enjoy the GL though... Keep us posted and put some pics up when you get it! :)

Oh there'll be pics, probably a thread...a very slow thread (lack of time+resources+cash money). The intention is along the lines of "TheLoyale" style project. There's alot to explore along the Front Range in Colorado that I haven't been able to do over the last 10 years due to a facination with rear-drive snot rockets. This should fix that.