Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
fattie

Help me hack my ignition switch.

it sticks and its really annoying. any tips or tricks to get it working a little better till a replacement can be found ? screw driver ? lube ? BFH ? thanks

oh yea , 86 brat.

It sounds like the ignition *lock* has a problem, not the *switch*.

Remove the lock, take it to a locksmith, and have it rebuilt and new keys made. (in the meantime - turn the switch with a screwdriver)

Replace the switch with an OEM one from the dealer when you get the lock back - about $25.

GD

It sounds like the ignition *lock* has a problem, not the *switch*.

Remove the lock, take it to a locksmith, and have it rebuilt and new keys made. (in the meantime - turn the switch with a screwdriver)

Replace the switch with an OEM one from the dealer when you get the lock back - about $25.

GD

i meant lock , i just call it a switch. im not quite sure how to take it apart. are there any how-to's on here ? i tried searching but it kept saying no results.

You don't want to use WD-40 - it will evaporate. You need to use graphite. They make it in powdered form as well as a liqufied style that flows easily.

GD

Our locksmith swears by tri-flow.

You still need a key switch or several toggle switches to turn on and off the accesory and ignition power circuits - besides just the push-button for the starter. And you *should* install a relay to run the starter as well as relays for the accesory and ignition circuits if you are going to do that. Replacing the key switch with a push-button and seperate power circuit switches is not something I would reccomened unless you are well versed in electrical work. That's not a small or particularly simple task.

GD

You still need a key switch or several toggle switches to turn on and off the accesory and ignition power circuits - besides just the push-button for the starter. And you *should* install a relay to run the starter as well as relays for the accesory and ignition circuits if you are going to do that. Replacing the key switch with a push-button and seperate power circuit switches is not something I would reccomened unless you are well versed in electrical work. That's not a small or particularly simple task.

^ Plus on top of what GD has said you also need to work out a way to safely disengage the steering lock - you don't want that to engage halfway around a corner!!

Cheers

Bennie

well all i had on hand was " lock de-icer with lube" in the little aerosol can. seems to work alot better till i can get it really fixed. ill look for the spray graphite. thanks