Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay i got a br-3 obdii scanner and plugged it in to my subaru.. im getting 4 codes..

"MIL indicator lamp is ON

Vehicle Reports 4 Codes stored.

4 Codes were retrieved:

P0183 P0341 P0403 P1100 "

also i know that is camshaft position sensor circuit range error. my question is should i replace the sensor or not? would replacing it fix my missfire?

some help decyphering please?

thanks

Scott

Edited by Scotty1419

i would think that changing that sensor would help considering if i am correct that sensor helps control timing and if the timing is off its not gunna run right.....but also what kinda makes me wonder about that is that ive read on other forums that if the cam sensor goes out the crank sensor compensates for it and controls timing.... not sure but correct me if im wrong :) hope this helps.

ps. ill also check the haynes for trouble codes when i dig it up for the diagrahms 2marrow.

-jarrid

Okay i got a br-3 obdii scanner and plugged it in to my subaru.. im getting 4 codes..

"MIL indicator lamp is ON

Vehicle Reports 4 Codes stored.

4 Codes were retrieved:

P0183 P0341 P0403 P1100 "

also i know that is camshaft position sensor circuit range error. my question is should i replace the sensor or not? would replacing it fix my missfire?

some help decyphering please?

thanks

Scott

p0183 - Fuel temperature sensor A circuit high input

P0341 - Camshaft position sensor circuit range error

P0403 - EGR circuit malfunction

P1100 - Mass Air Flow sensor or circuit malfunction

thank you.. i pulled the cam and crank position sensors and tested both for resistance.. both sensors were good. I also replaced the maf with a new one but car still has missfire.. Im really thinking theirs a short or something is corroded in the wiring harnesses somewhere or no ground or something electrical thats causing it to run rich and miss.

Well other things you can check are the resistance of the spark plug wires.. they don't last forever.. make sure they don't get too close to the injector wires because some cheap wires can cause a misfire by being too close..

Spark plugs whens the last time they were replaced? Also the coil pack resistance can be checked as well but most of the time one that starts to go bad tends to have a misfire like 3 & 4 or 1 & 2..

P0183- says the fuel temp is high inside the gas tank.

If the tank is vented properly this should not be, so probably a shorted connector. Check all the wires and connections.

EGR, clean thoroughly. Can use carb cleaner, but keep it away from the rubber diaphragm. Include hoses and metal lines in this cleaning.

Clean MAF , using the carb cleaner also. Don't hold too closee to wires.

Google the codes and you'll get particular info.

Need to state car, engine, mileage , auto/manual etc.

Here's ref to FSM for future ref.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

O.

P0183- says the fuel temp is high inside the gas tank.

If the tank is vented properly this should not be, so probably a shorted connector. Check all the wires and connections.

EGR, clean thoroughly. Can use carb cleaner, but keep it away from the rubber diaphragm. Include hoses and metal lines in this cleaning.

Clean MAF , using the carb cleaner also. Don't hold too closee to wires.

Google the codes and you'll get particular info.

Need to state car, engine, mileage , auto/manual etc.

Here's ref to FSM for future ref.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

O.

Sorry the car is a 1998 legacy gt limited auto trans.I paid a good suby mechanic that was recommended to me on here to do the 2.2 swap for me.he put in a 1995 ej22 in the car. He closed off the egr valve and disconected it for some reason. hence the egr valve code. the car ran awesome from aug 2010 till april 2011. then it just started missfiring. Ive tried literally everything. the only thing i can think is wiring problem somewhere. also ive put in like 5 sets of plugs they just foul up completely black because the car is running rich. ive tried oem plug wires and duralast plug wires

careful on rubber hoses with the carb cleaner it makes them hard and brittle..

Indeed, wasn't clear enough. Didn't mean to suggest cleaning hoses with carb cleaner, but to just clean the passages.

Do search for procedures to test EGR operation.

O.