Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am noobie Just brought this home tonight!

I got a lot done last night family was away for most of the night. Pulled the motor tore into the sheet metal and bat tray.

DSCN4317.jpg

I was going to patch that spot up but it looked like it would be faster to cut out the whole thing and put new sheet metal in.

DSCN4319.jpg

so I started to graft in 10GA metal I had to cut a lot out to get some solid metal.

DSCN4320.jpg

I am sure if the bat had not eaten away I would have not had to go through this

DSCN4318.jpg

Cleaned and pained the inside. Once I get it all together I will paint another coat on the cap on the outside of the skin.

DSCN4321.jpg

DSCN4322.jpg

Hope to finish up this week and get the motor back in.

DSCN4323.jpg

Who ever put the motor in put new clutch and throw out baring in. :)

So I won't have to do that.

Then again I got in some hot water last night for not hearing the phone ring. :(

I got some time and look what I ripped off. What a pain.

DSCN4352.jpg

I think I was robbed at the store. They wanted $4 each and I got them to knock of $4. It still hurt but it looks good. I also put little high temp RTV.

DSCN4350.jpg

These are 3/8 brass flare plugs. I just tightened them down pretty snug but I did not bottom them out. If you want to go on the cheap side just weld them up after you pinch them off.

DSCN4353.jpg

Got that panel in wish I could have done it all in one piece but, thats all I had. I will clean it up really good before I put the coating on it.

DSCN4351.jpg

Almost done with the out side. I will have to fab up a top piece at work. also patched some small holes in the bat tray area.

DSCN4356.jpg

What is that long tube that goes down to the back of the head?

Is that a coolant tube? I want to take that off also.

DSCN4355.jpg

Also going to make a 1/4 block off plate out of aluminum. Tell me if I am doing anything wrong. :P

DSCN4358.jpg

I want to get the motor back in by next week. :clap:

I got the block off plate made and installed. It cleans it up a bit and I wish I could pull some other stuff off that is not needed.

DSCN4360.jpg

got the last piece fabricated up for the channel.

DSCN4362.jpg

Just have to trim it down and paint the inside before its welded on.

DSCN4361.jpg

I hope to get to it tomorrow and get the bat tray that I made up also. It did not turn out like I wanted to but it will be better than what was there.

Checked to make sure it was pretty close to fitting good.

DSCN4366.jpg

Painted the inside channel and on the bottom of the top plate. A guy at work to got me on to the SEM stuff says its also high heat paint. When your welding you do get a little burn off but not as much as other paints I have used. I am very happy with this stuff and will use it on my next project. :brow:

DSCN4363.jpg

I had to do a fast tack up because I had to put the tater tots in the oven. :clap:

Maybe I will be able to sneak out and weld it up tonight if I don't it will prob be Monday.:D

DSCN4367.jpg

got a little time in on fri about 30 min and about hr on sat.

I did get a lot done though. Finished welding up and smoothing out the channel.

This is the before pic of course.

DSCN4360-1.jpg

I had to patch a hole as the screw driver went through when I was checking the metal.. But got it all painted.

DSCN4364.jpg

I got double prizes and got the other side done too.

DSCN4365.jpg

Need to finish the fire wall and clean up the crossbeam. I hope to then move on to the motor and clean that up really good prob put some new gaskets on the valve covers and oil pan. I am thinking next week I will have the motor back in.:clap:

I will claim ignorance on a couple things but I will also ask to learn.

Why are you plugging those ports on the block? Are they part of the pcv valve setup? And that aluminum plate you made. What are you blocking off?

And my last question, are these not a bog deal to remove then? Should we all do this or?....

Thanks.

Well I got a little bit of time today. The wife went to the oulets with some friends so I got the kids all day. I got out in the garage before anyone was awake and prepped everything. I am going to try and get the motor in later today but we will see how that works out.

Got the cross member painted looks really good. I have to say it was a pain to clean and prep it.

DSCN4396.jpg

DSCN4395.jpg

I did not paint that tab on the bat tray because I am going to weld a bolt to it so I can secure the bat down.

DSCN4394.jpg

I like it Clean clean clean! All for now I hope to get more pics of the motor going back in.:brow:

DSCN4397.jpg

This is what you get when you use a tooth brush and paint brush with a half gallon of mineral spirits and half a roll of paper towels. A.D.D moment. I had to stop my self or I would not get any thing done today.:D That way I can see whats going one with leaks if there are any. The oil pan bolts were little loose so I tighten those up.

DSCN4398.jpg

For some reason the motor mounts did not want to go in the holes must have spent half hr getting them to go in the slots. I got the motor in and exhaust hooked up too while I was at it.

DSCN4401.jpg

I also got a strait neck from my friend as the other one was almost hitting the brake reservoirs. Who ever did the last install did not change it over. Now I got plenty of room.

DSCN4400.jpg

Next on the list is cleaning up the wire harness and maybe single wire alternator. :clap: will have to see how much time I got.

I should have it running again by middle of next week and start putting everything back together. Just waiting on the windshield gasket.

Yeah sometimes a second guy for rocking and dipping one mount in then settling the high side in with some finess.

Outstanding!! You can not finish my unfinished projects anytime !!! :headbang:

Yeah need to get this thing done Hope to be driving it soon with a windshield in.:brow:

Well I got some time. I had to buy a new starter cable because the aluminum one broke on booth ends.:mad: Got a larger newer battery too almost have everything back in. I will prob clean it up little bit later just want to be able to move it. After I get this done going to work on the caliper on the drivers side.

Also got some oil and filter because I don't know the last time it was done might as well start fresh.:D

DSCN4404.jpg

Well I got some time. I had to buy a new starter cable because the aluminum one broke on booth ends.:mad: Got a larger newer battery too almost have everything back in. I will prob clean it up little bit later just want to be able to move it. After I get this done going to work on the caliper on the drivers side.

Also got some oil and filter because I don't know the last time it was done might as well start fresh.:D

DSCN4404.jpg

That battery tray is awesome... over built FTW!!!

whelp got some more time in.

-Installed the battery ground to the frame

-flushed the radiator and installed hoses

-hooked up one side of the heater core, will have to go down and buy one with a 90 deg bend as I had to cut the other one out.

-used a bolt off My Grand National motor I had left over for the radiator :headbang:

- Changed the oil and filter:brow:

Just waiting on the thermo stat plug to show up so I can plug that hole and install new hose.

I tried to use the hazards and they don't work now. :( I don't have all the lights hooked up yet so I will try to figure out after everything is installed again.

The heater fan works well though. :D The windshield will be going in next week too. It will be nice to have it drivable again.:burnout: