Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am noobie Just brought this home tonight!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131753&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rust+treatment+products&start=0

Here's a good review of a 5 year test on different rust treatment products. It's been my experience that as long as no serious pitting(just surface rust) rustoleum rusty metal primer(or probably any rust preventaive primer) works good. If the metal is pitted I use some type of rust converter first then the primer.

The trick is to realy let it dry out between coats. It took me a month to paint my floor of my 79 wagon. 3 coats converter. 2 coats primer. then paint topcoat. I let it dry 3-5 days in-between coats.

Good luck with your project......looks great.

Its been a while since I posted anything. I did work on my the brat on sat but got called away to help with a exhaust install on a 2012 gti.

Anyways I started to get the cab prep for paint.

I did however get the small parts stripped and painted for the e-brake.

DSCN3507.jpg

And look what showed up in the mail today. :grin:

DSCN3503.jpg

Will try to get the heater box all done in the next week and ready to install I hope. :rolleyes:

I got that cabin painted so I can put the pedal assy back in. :) I was looking at the picture and I noticed I missed a few small spots so I will have hit them when I touch up the dash.

DSCN3534.jpg

I did a really thick coat in the vent area. It was hard to cram my hand up in there but I also have a back up plan for that too. :brow:

Got in the vent area pretty good.

DSCN3537.jpg

Missed a few small spots that I will get on the second coat. :D

DSCN3539.jpg

Hope to get the pedals back in this weekend so I can move and start this thing up and finish cleaning the garage.:banghead:

Was looking for a hose for the heater and I found one that is pretty close to the og one that I have one there.

DSCN3544.jpg

Just in case you missed the Napa # on there you can also order it online too.

DSCN3543.jpg

I was able to sneek in a little time to put the e-brake back in. Going to try and take apart the heater box today. Might have to do it at the kitchen table LOL the wife is out shopping. :)

One question. Those studs for the carpet only like 3 survived the rebuild of the floor. Anyone have any ideas of how to snap the carpet back in? Or if you know of a replacement screw I could use?

DSCN3546.jpg

Does anyone have an extra windshield gasket they want to sell me. My lead on one kinda fell through. If you do have one let me know price. I can get a new one for $60 from the place that is installing it. If you have one that your not using let me know.

I can't let mine go any cheaper plus you'd be covering shipping. Keep in mind we had these freshly made just like 3 years ago or so. We were told they were from Thailand and that the mfg. Was not keeping the mold after that last batch. Ask the installer when that gasket was produced. Mine would only be a few bucks more with shipping but you'd know it's fresh. Have one sitting here somebody neglected to follow thru on. Could be one of the last ones.

Well got a little time. Kids wanted to play with the race track so needed to get the seat in so I can drive it. The other one is just sitting in there for now.

DSCN3581.jpg

Also took the brat around the block and stalled few times. I don't have an air cleaner on it and I found a leak in the carb. I will prob have to rebuild it or send it out. :banghead:

On a side note If your going to pull the harness use a sharpie and number the connectors. I did not do that and I still have to figure out where some of the plugs go. Subie did not make one plug only fits one place. :(

Got the hazards working and running lights working. I had to drill one of the light bulbs out because it was stuck. I did get the bulb out though in little pieces. :) Got some other wires hooked up on the harness and started to take apart the heater box. The two screws on the heater valve were frozen and had to drill them to get them off. Waiting for the jb weld to dry. :rolleyes:

Not much else going on I hope the blinkers are tied into gauge cluster because the turn signals are not working. :-\

Got the fender done. Its not the greatest but its done. Going to have to do some body work on it.

DSCN3588.jpg

The top was prob the hardest part with the bend. These fenders are like tin cans by the way. :banghead:

DSCN3589.jpg

I finally got to open up the heater box. What did I find a big old rats nests. I am treating the flappers with the rust conversion so there is no funky smell. :brow:

DSCN3590.jpg

I will need to figure out what kind of foam to use. Does anyone have any Ideas? I also need to find foam for the gaskets on the vents and the heater box. Open for options on that too for what ever you used.

all for now.