Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am noobie Just brought this home tonight!

Gots some bad news and good news.

Bad news broke both thermostat bolts off. So then I figured it would be easier to take the intake off and fix those. Broke two bolts off on the head, NOT a happy camper. So I am going to soak them with pb blaster and hope I can get them out, if not I will have to drill them out. Also the drivers side front caliper is shot. I need to find a used one, I think my friend has one does not know where it is. If not I will have to pick up a reman.

Good news is the windshield is getting installed tonight:clap: Thanks moosens for pulling out of your personal stash.:headbang: New intake gaskets and thermostat with gasket. Most of this is going to be new so I guess that's good.

Edited by waldoz

Yeah , lots of us older folks here have the appropriate drills , easy outs , and heli-coils or my favorite Time-serts ready for action. Good luck on those. You'll b ok.

I hope your windshield goes in well. Down to two gaskets left from original order and they are spoken for.

Oh yeah windshield is in!:headbang: I have to say it was worth the $80 install the guy did a great job took his time and sealed it up really good.:clap:

DSCN4469.jpg

Then there is the broken bolts. :( I put the vise grips on one and its not budging. So I put some more pb blaster on it and tapped it with a hammer few more times. I will try again tomorrow.

DSCN4470.jpg

Also I think I ordered the wrong thermostat. I think I got the intake one. thats ok because I wanted that one but I really need one for the radiator.:brow:

Well I checked the order it says radiator fan switch. Where to I get the temp gauge sensor? I have two of them but I would like to put a new one in just so I know its good.

Edited by waldoz
  • Like 1

Put those stuck bolts through a few thermal cycles before you try again; a propane torch or the like (even a good heat gun), just on the bolt. It will heat the surrounding aluminum just enough to make those different coefficients of thermal expansion work for ya. Hardly ever fails.

Oh man:Flame: I wish I would have done that. I got one out by welding a nut to it. The second one sheared off twice and that was after 2 days of pb blaster. Right now I drilled out the middle with a reverse bit and now trying to drill the core out very carefully and hope I can just run a tap down it and call it a day.:horse: New caliper is on the way for drivers side, but I think I already said that. Might get a little time to work on the brat since I it off.

:banana:Happy 4lth! and every one be safe!:banana:

Well intake is back on!:clap: I had to put heli-coil in. After all that work LOL. I did swap out intakes and cleaned the new one up. Hoses are connected and ready for some cooling fluid. Try to work on it tomorrow and figure out the wiring and get all the bugs out that happened when I pulled the motor. The goal is to get it driving by Wed of next week. :headbang:

yah i having that problem with my 85 brat, but im keeping it any way because i love it but i dont like the salvaged/totaled title it has so its going to get moded like ee diesil, ej, or put on frame chevy luv, toyota, or bronco II lifted:Dand get another with clean title and very straight and rust free. but mine is pritty straight and rust free now since new door and fenders and alot of work.

Well I got to work on the brat some more. The temp gauge was not working. It took me like 4 hrs to figure out what was going on. I took the gauge apart to make sure all the wire were there and working. The gauge takes 7v and if you ground out the bottom terminal just for few seconds it will let you know its working. I replaced the temp sensor with a new one, still did not work. I started to trace the harness on the motor it was fine to the connector. Now on the other side no workie. I traced the wires, the guy who did the engine swap did not check to see if the wires were lined up right. There was no wire going to the temp sensor. I swapped it to the right slot and it works!:clap: Then when I was testing it the fan kicked on at 200 deg or so. I had to hard wire that to the battery and run a new ground wire.:headbang: I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I just need to get the head lights wired correctly because they used wire nuts to attach them over the current harness. :horse: I should have the headlights hooked up this week.:D

I was just looking at the harness. It looks like it was double lights but it has the single set up. I might cut back the harness and make it right but not sure what to do about that as. I don't even know if this harness goes with this brat. LOL

I also have the Dual light set up and not the quad as well making it a DL brat. Mine also shows extra hookups as well for a quad set up which makes me think that subaru used only one harness that worked with either dl or gl brat models. I like the dual light set up over the quads even though a lot of other Gen 1 lovers like the quad set up better. I like the way it looks.:brow:

they did make only one harness for both gl and dl brats both gens too(different harnesses for the gen1 and gen2 though.) i think they did that with every gl and dl subaru they ever made. i like the look with only two head lights on my 85 brat but i need to find all the stuff for that to work out though, my dad has two dl brat a 78 and 79 and a 78 gl.

Edited by turbosubarubrat

Well that is good to know. Just need to figure out how to make it work. I don't seem to see where the power wire is for the relays.LOL Unless I hooked up the wrong wire, but everything works like it should blinkers, hazards, turn signals etc. I am happy camper.

I got the brake caliper installed. Those little cotter pin clips like to shoot all over if your not careful. :) It did not take long to bleed the line out either.

As for the head lights I can not figure out why the guy jumped the harness and made that rats nest. I plugged in both lights and turned them on. I have high and low beams, go figure. It must have been when I went through everything and checked the grounds and cleaned it all up. I will prob ground the head lights to the battery if I have some room left.:clap: I am going to put the front end together this week and make sure every thing works as it should.

So need to:

make battery strap

put headlights and front trim on

finish up a panel in the fender well

prep and paint

fine tune the carb (maybe a relay for the fuel pump on start up)

It will def be nice to get most of this stuff done and movable.:brow:

Looking at the exhaust. I posted on the nw subie forum for a free wrx exhaust. I would like this thing to sound like a wrx. Do you have any suggestions to get this sound? 2" exhaust with a glass pack? If you could help me out on this let me know what you guys have done with your. :)

I got the front end almost together. I have to cut one of the bolts on the brush guard before I bolt it on. I will prob get the divers fender on tomorrow might have to fix some nuts on the apron tomorrow but its all going together pretty good.

DSCN4525.jpg

I tried to figure out why the pre pump was not working. So after few days I gave up and spliced it into the solenoid wire back in the harness that goes to the carb. I should have done that long time ago. when the buzzers on the solenoid kicks on along with the pre pump to fill the carb. :clap: I was going to do a switch but this is not a race car and I don't think anyone will steal this. lol

Little bit by bit. :Flame:

I got the front end almost together. I have to cut one of the bolts on the brush guard before I bolt it on. I will prob get the divers fender on tomorrow might have to fix some nuts on the apron tomorrow but its all going together pretty good.

I got this stuff done on sat. 4 nuts rewelded finished up the cab and cleaned out the back. I will prob put the brush guard on later as I think I want to paint it. :brow: