Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recently changed steering wheel, now airbag light

Changed the steering wheel on my '97 Impreza with a newer one from an RS. Made sure to use the original airbag unit. I'm not sure that light wasn't on before the switch (scan gauge in the way so I didn't see this right away). Is there a reset on the airbag light since I had to remove the positive cable from the battery before I made the change?

airbag codes on Subarus go out once the issue is resolved, no reset needed. i've repaired a wrecked 97 Impreza OBS and that is the case on that vehicle.

simple solution is to read the air bag code. i've done it on a 97 impreza and while i can't recall how from memory, it was easy and quick. probably grounding the right pin so it'll flash the code (like the ABS if you've ever done that).

you don't know if the light was ever on before? car ever wrecked?

good luck and feel free to PM me if i miss the follow up's here Ed, i've repaired a few wrecked/air bag blown Subarus. just don't ask me how to unclip those crazy honkin air bag connectors! :lol: those things are terrible. :rolleyes:

airbag codes on Subarus go out once the issue is resolved, no reset needed. i've repaired a wrecked 97 Impreza OBS and that is the case on that vehicle.

simple solution is to read the air bag code. i've done it on a 97 impreza and while i can't recall how from memory, it was easy and quick. probably grounding the right pin so it'll flash the code (like the ABS if you've ever done that).

you don't know if the light was ever on before? car ever wrecked?

good luck and feel free to PM me if i miss the follow up's here Ed, i've repaired a few wrecked/air bag blown Subarus. just don't ask me how to unclip those crazy honkin air bag connectors! :lol: those things are terrible. :rolleyes:

I have a scan gauge II but it doesn't show any airbag code.

Yes, the connectors are a real pain.

I would take the airbag back out and make sure everything clicks. It has to be something simple. Do you think you could have gotten a defective part?
Only thing I replace was the steering wheel. I used the same airbag as was on the original steering wheel. I'll be looking at things again this weekend.