Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas filler neck alternatives

As you can tell from the picture, I need to replace the gas filler neck on my '99 OBW. There are several on ebay and elsewhere, but the ones that say they fit the '99 OBW are the most expensive... of course :mad:

So... does anybody around here know which models/model years can be exchanged? My car has the valve (what is it for???) on it, but I have no idea if it's the "large vent" style. Hints?

post-38670-136027649663_thumb.jpg

I would go to your local dealer. Take your VIN with you and get a price quote for a new filler neck. Then you'll have a part number you can cross reference. Those things changed so often, you really need to make sure you get the right one for everything to fit back together right.

From subarupartsforyou.com

Pipe 42066AC150 $105

Valve 42084FA100 aka 42084AE100 $59

Ring and Packing 42056AA010 & 42060GA081 $11

Screws 047405160 X3 $3 (you may be able to reuse yours)

$178 + Shipping

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partlistbymod.php?model=Outback&subcat=Fuel+Pipe&year=1999

eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Legacy-Outback-fuel-filler-tube-w-hdwre-fits-99-/360247028083?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e0656973

$189 + $17 Shipping

Edited by Mike104

Thank you people :)

The pictures don't do this thin any justice... It's actually worse :( I am positive I won't be able to use the screws :D

I have seen the $189 filler tubes on ebay, but there are some salvage items going for prices starting in the ~$40... but I have no idea -yet- of what fits and what doesn't. It's hard to believe they made that many changes to a 2ft piece of pipe...

Edit: forgot to mention... there are some pipes that run along the filler neck that I don't see on some of the pictures on ebay and elsewhere. If those need to be bought as well the final price will be a large percentage of what I paid for the car...

Edited by jarl

im with Jon^^ on that one. mine was rusted out with holes in spots, but damn, not that bad! (also wisconsin car)

i just sealed it up and the vent tube on the side i replaced with a fuel line hose.

if i recall, i cut off all the rusty crap. cut some metal to cover it and then jbwelded it in place. not sure how long that'll last but im sure it'll outlast the rest of the car. unfortunately.

Since you say you're looking for alternatives... You could try to rescue it by welding sheet metal over it. You might get a few more years that way. But for the love of god, don't do it still attached to the gas tank :eek:

Big fuel hose might work... Maybe you could fab a new one out of exhaust pipe.

Unfortunately, that's the only year of that style filler. Unless you don't care about evap codes, then use a cheaper earlier one.

:) while repairing this thing is an alternative (albeit a far fledged one), I'm more inclined to replace it with one that is not that bad... Given the fact I have already paid for a replacement engine, new timing kit and a bunch of other parts, I would rather not spend $200 in this tube (if it's crossing your mind, yes, I'm uhmmm... "frugal")

The question is which car(s) included the same tube... Looking at the part number (thank you Mike!) it appears like it was used in several cars from '96 on, but several web search suggest otherwise. Has anyone over here have found a similar tube in her/his car?

post-38670-136027649674_thumb.jpg

It will swap with any second gen filler. That's not the issue. The issue is only 99 got that valve thingy at the top. So if you use an earlier one you'll just get an evap code. If you don't care. Cheap option.

Depends on the car. 99 wasn't the only year they used that type of filler neck. But it sucks, the filler necks with the valve are stupid expensive compared to the older type!

Well... the price of all the parts involved at 1stsubaruparts is $156 plus shipping... which is still too much for my taste. So, let's talk options. Or option -singular-.

It looks like the main differences between the old model and the new one are a) the diameter of the vent pipe, and B) the evap valve and associated pipes. Would it be possible to modify one of the old design filler tubes to accept the valve, and use some form of adapter to reduce the diameter of the vent pipe?

As far as I can tell from the pictures there's a single hole communicating the valve to the filler tube, so it should just be a matter of making a hole on the old design tube and finding some way of fixing the valve over it (epoxy/something). The valve itself seems to have remained unchanged all the way to 2009, so there should be a few in a decent condition at the junkyards. Opinions?

Edit: There's an option #2!!! A guy at the Forester forum got rid of his rusty valve by joining the two hoses going to it using a piece of pipe, and says he didn't get any codes. That just leaves the vent tube to deal with, meaning I could use the old filler tube design :D Again, I'd like to hear your opinions/experiences with this...

Edited by jarl