Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bonvos winter warrior

im not swapping a weber on it im still screwing with the stock carb and its pissing me off like there is no tomorrow

so the thing ran great idled awesome but it had a stumble due to the accelerator pump not doing its job found out that the one that came with the rebuild kit was different so we swapped back to the old on since it was only 6 months old now its back to square one!! im so ready to push this damn thing off a cliff right now i mean its a great car when it ************ing runs but this pile of crap carb is killing me

the topper is all i need to put a weber on this thing is a freaking adapter i already have the carb

Edited by bonvo

im not swapping a weber on it im still screwing with the stock carb and its pissing me off like there is no tomorrow

the topper is all i need to put a weber on this thing is a freaking adapter i already have the carb

Soooo do the swap when ya get an adaptor. Then you can enjoy her again.

well its plugged the carb up again while fine tuning it yesterday so today i decided enough was enough so i pulled the tank just to be sure

00B23500-orig.jpg

i think i found my problem.....

0FEB1787-orig.jpg

so now to clean the tank and the rest of the fuel system

i think i want to re index the rear torsen bars while im back there how do i get these things apart

Edited by bonvo

today went out to look at the tank all the gas had evaporated and dumped this out of it

5346B234-orig.jpg

went down the car wash and used there pressure washer nozzel to get everything out going back in tomorrow along with the cleaned carb

i also found some spring spacers in the garage and put them in the front struts didnt lift it much i got maybe an inch inch and a half out of it

• 3 weeks later...

alright guys im finding myself needing to take a trip back down to california to attend a funeral this is around a 800 mile round trip ive noticed that around here the speed limit is 55 mph that is about 3500 rpm the speed limit in cali is 65 which ive tested and found that to be about 4200 the question is would this thing be able to handle it for roughly 600 miles? seems like its alot of revs for a long time

• 2 weeks later...

well a few days ago i started to take it apart pressed down on the accel pump and it worked so i made some changes to the rod so i get more squirt out of it and put a much heavier return spring on it now the throttle is heavier but it runs drives and idles again this will get me threw till i get my weber adapter

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

well i was driving home from bend on sunday and as i pulled into the driveway at 9 oclock at night it died and wouldnt crank over due to a dead battery well today i finally got around to looking at it and found my problem

AB198C6A-orig_zpsd070a48f.jpg

after looking it over i looks like it was the original belt or close to it new belt and problem solved 

Edited by bonvo

well compression test figures disappoint me at about 100 psi so rebuild is in order i have found some parts on rock auto to make this happen for under 200 bucks but i cant find crank main bearings i can find con rod bearings but no main bearings they also dont offer different sizes so does that mean overbore pistons arent available? if thats the case that makes things a little easier 

im 6'1" 330lbs and getting in and out of this thing isnt exactly graceful or enjoyable but thats more my weight cause im fighting between the b pillar and the steering wheel 

head room isnt bad neither is leg room though the seat has to be all the way back and i have to move my right leg around to shift 

Edited by bonvo

Haha, cool. I'm pretty flexible so I shouldn't have any problems. I really enjoyed reading your posts about getting your 78 up and running. Have you had any more carb issues since cleaning the fuel system so thoroughly?