Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bonvos winter warrior

got the subaru all back together it seems to run better and the motor is a lot tighter then before but according to the compression tester the results havnt changed beginning to suspect dads prehistoric compression tester but its still hard not to feel defeated after going threw all that and seeing those numbers

6DBD5A0E-orig_zps4340bd50.jpg

0163E3F9-orig_zpse0ea9f5a.jpg

6BF60BF6-orig_zps6e480937.jpg

went out and messed with the oil pump a little as i was having low oil pressure at idle and put the last parts on it then took it out to seat the rings. im seriously doubting my dads compression tester at this point it runs way to good and way to smooth and pulls to good to still have 100 psi of compression 

IMAG0862_zpse8edbae9.jpg

IMAG0863_zps3b90073c.jpg

IMAG0864_zps083795ba.jpg

still having oil pressure issues at idle once its hot not sure what the deal is any ideas?

old oil pump that we took apart cleaned and resealed all the check valves were cleaned and lubed with assembly lube when put back into there proper place it didnt have this issue before which is what is puzzling me 

dont see or here anything aside from the idiot light on the dash it sounds fine and there are no leaks when its cold its not an issue as it gets warm and the thermostat opens it flickers then as after it gets to the optimum operating temp it stays on the second its off idle light turns off

both say that parts in the pump are sticking we had the no oil pressure at start up took the pump apart found what was sticking and fixed that issue it has oil pressure at start up and it has oil pressure off idle the light only comes on at idle when the engine is hot im still considering pulling the oil pump off yet again and go threw it all again 

I'd check the clearance around the vanes with a feeler gauge. And maybe replace the springs in the check valves. check out this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/136455-1979-brat-4x4/

If that doesn't work you can always get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-1987-Subaru-1-6L-DL-GL-Brat-Engine-Oil-Pump-IN-STOCK-/290884640657?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1979%7CModel%3AGL%7CMake%3ASubaru&hash=item43ba135f91&vxp=mtr

I'm tempted to plunk down for one of those and call it good. $75 for a new oil pump is pretty good, esp. since the ones at o'reilly's and auto zone are going for $120 a piece! At least you know it isn't your mains causing the problem! 

as for oil im running castrol gtx 10-30w same oil ive run in every vehicle i own but im thinking about stepping it up to 10-40w

thanks for the link ill read threw the thread but i would much rather fix what i got instead of buying a new one