Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bonvos winter warrior

im going off of what my A.S.E. master tech father has told me he has 30 years in the business so needless to say i trust him and he has taught me alot but since this is my first engine over haul im relying on his info basiclly just drive it but very your rpms so that that it gets use in the whole rpm range 

it wasnt to hard man i got some turtle wax polishing compound and just went over the whole care lightly then followed with with a good waxing with an orbital buffer this is the first time ive washed it since then as well and it still looks good just want to keep the original paint as nice as possible since its still in decent shape 

main reason for doing all this detail work is i have a date and i want it to look as good as it possibly can XD

Edited by bonvo

not sure what part your talking about since it could be two things because you have two pieces of trim that are like that. the very bottom ones below the doors are held on by metal clips that pop off. the ones in the middle of the doors, rear panels, and fenders are held on by pop rivets or small screws that can be seen after taking out the rubber strips that lay on them.

crap thats what i was afraid of im talking about the rubber strips i may take the one off the drivers door and try to straighten it then either that or buy new adheasive trim and replace whats there datsun did similar on the b210 and 710 and i dont understand why the factory put freaking holes in the doors and body panels to hold these stupid pieces on 

Edited by bonvo

mine were screws and they came right out i think im going to remove the stock trim and replace it with the adhesive black stuff 

well ever since i had the car the door has caught on the fender i started with this

22496E66-orig_zpsfe0b363f.jpg

now im no body guy but its alot better then it was before

E1BAE319-orig_zps97b64ff4.jpg

A159F4F5-orig_zps92770991.jpg

B8B8CE36-orig_zpse16d51a1.jpg

4545624E-orig_zpsc1e56207.jpg

over all it looks alot better and the whole car isnt perfect so i wasnt to worried about making it a perfect fender again especially with the rust it has but underneath it looked good no real rust to be seen even around the hood hinges which always rot out of these things

875EE3B8-orig_zpsc393bb08.jpg

43790EC3-orig_zps451980c8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well today i took out my lower motor to see why i havnt had flow threw the heater box in the 1.5 years ive owned this thing  well today i found this 

7D127B02-orig_zps0e9ca7ee.jpg

and this 

2E636994-orig_zps8e518400.jpg

so i got out the gloves and a shop vac and got this as a result 

ECD763FC-orig_zps24fcf25d.jpg

and then apoxied the hamster wheel back together 

64685283-orig_zpsa2eed4ed.jpg

and we decided that the old drunk guy i bought this thing from is a very sneaky man the car had wiring for a breatholizer when i got it and i found this wedged in the heater controls looks like he was using one of thoses spare tire air compressors to get past the breatholizer 

DFC8A3C0-orig_zps7659a945.jpg

YO!, Thats pretty Cool you and your Dad did the Motor...Your lucky to have your Dad help and show you how to do stuff...My dad used to restore JAGs,MGs,Austin Healeys-all the Limey Cars and Bikes,and Dodges,So I"ve been doing this stuff since I was 7Yrs Old...It"s becoming a lost art Fixing stuff, all it"s about nowadays is Remove/Replace, No one knows how to Fix stuff anymore-It"s Sad...

I Dig the Part of the Video and the Music When your Dad was putting in the Frt. Crank Seal With the Hammer...It Matched up Killer :headbang:!! I wish I had another Old Wgn. like that again{ I call them The OLD BAST*RDS} Good Cars!! 1 thing I"m trying to figure out is Why you Big guys Like these Cars so much..I have friends your size that drive them and they complain about being cramped but they won"t Quit driving em!! They Like them too Much :grin:  :drunk:  Snowin Like Hell Right Now-7" I hope we get 20-24" So I can Have Some Fun :banana: Well have fun!! Good Job To You an Your Dad!! Oh Nice Dats.!

thanks man yeah my dad is awesome he has been in the business for 35+ years and has been teaching me since i was old enough to hold a wrench then after highschool i went to school for automotive repair but on a job as big as an engine rebuild i wanted to be sure i did it right since i had never done it before so he assisted and now when i go to do the datsun engine it will be a solo gig as for big guys driving them i drive it because its 4wd and it snows here team that with bitchin mileage and its a win win situation though if someone had an rx or an xt i would trade my goon for one as long as the conditions were similar  

well went to put it back together today and the second i went to tighten down the 8mm that holds the fan on it splits in half again 

fuuu-i1.png

so i went and bought some apoxy made specificly for plastic and it has double the strength of the stuff i used before so im hoping that this will solve the issue 

im hoping that the imbalance that the epoxy adds doesnt make the whole thing break again. btw I watched that whole video and was thoroughly impressed. im sure there are other fans that will fit in there. 

too bad i sold my loyale rs yesterday, i woulda swapped you (think rx lite)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

well as winter looms its time to do some more stuff to this thing i already fixed the heater issue (i can handle cold but even i have my limits) and fixed the window seals to keep the cold air out 

last night i ran wiring to fix the broken wires on my offroad lights and today fished the wires to where they will live this weekend ill finish up the relay wiring but i could sample what they will be like 

just headlights 

8A2DAD49-orig_zps389fac1a.jpg

kinda pathetic light its brighter then this my camera sucks at night shots

9E3D41D9-orig_zps2ceb6620.jpg

offroad lights on

66BA313E-orig_zps88816067.jpg

muuuuuch more light output

1255EB97-orig_zpsea71b46d.jpg

and i thought this was cool when you turn them off they glow 

B1891866-orig_zpsd492373d.jpg