Ultimate Subaru Message Board

IS a ea81 a direct swap to ea82?Please help

81EA81

Ive tried reading previous threads about this and I havent done much but spend too much time sitting in front of my computer reading away.

I have a 300,000 mile carburated ea82 that is almost done. When it goes out I want to put my ea81 in it.

I know I need the 24 spline friction disc, Whats up with the flywheel? can I keep it as is?

engine mounts line up right? what about wiring to coil/ disty?

Id much rather have an ea81 vs the ea82

can someone please enlighten me?

• 2 weeks later...

hello and i think i can help. respond to me and i will get a hold of you by phone sop i can answer a few questions and help. i just finished up this swap and i have some pics i can send you too. i just dont know how to post them to this site and didnt want a phone number posted everywhere...

• 5 weeks later...

the bell housing and engine mounts fit the same. use the ea82 flywheel and clutch. you will have to notch the bellhousing for it.

you can use the ea82 manifold on the ea81 motor, if you eliminate the EGR and a few other tweaks.

use the ea82 exhaust header

you will have to lengthen the wires for the disty

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am strongly considering this swap for my wagon. The ea82 is going out and I have a ea81 that can be resealed and swapped in. Just to recap and confirm what I've read so far in this thread. Use ea82 clutch and flywheel, the pressure plate as well? I'm guessing that is the case. Notch clearance in the ea81 bellhousing for the ea82 flywheel. Use the ea82 exaust headers. And lengthen the disty to coil wire.

Can I use the ea81 intake manifold? I would much rather do this than use the ea82. Or is there a plus for the ea82 manifold?

What about grounds and sensors? Any differences there to slow me down?

Thank you in advance for any insight. :)

Edited by 6 Star