Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Landcruiser: Safariwagon-II

Tsk tsk... knock on wood*

Here in Oregon they do pull you over for it... We had to ziptie one onto the 240sx because it didnt have a front bumper so he had it displayed in the windshield, still got a fix-it ticket for it

I may just get one and put it on for show purposes :headbang:

Been working on mine some... My rockers were out of adjustment... In a weird way though. The intake valves were actually very close, all were right around .008. The weird part was, the exhaust valves were ALSO around .008, I'm assuming whoever adjusted them last time set them ALL to .008, instead of the exhaust set to .014....... Anyhow, it's running MUCH better now. Also, stripped the running boards off, and put some 31's on it. The lift I ordered is waiting on front springs to come back into stock, so I won't actually have the kit until mid-June. I bought some 16x10 fake beadlock wheels off CL. And will likely go with 35's.... This thing is gonna be sweet! Here's an update pic.....

If you would rather I start my own thread I will, REALLY am not trying to threadjack here... Promise.....

spencer021.jpg

Edited by obk25xt

Someone got lazy apparently lol. Did you also adjust them while the motor was pretty hot? I guess that is the correct way to do it, I burnt my hands enough when I did mine lol. 2 people makes it go easier though (Thanks dad!)

That thing looks better already! It is coming along nicely man. Needs something to break up all the white, wow! A black molding, mirrors or something lol.

You can make a thread if you'd like, you are also welcome to post updates here as well. I guess this is the Landcruiser thread ;)

Ya, I read up on how to do it... After I had torn all into it (engine cold)... DOH! So I put it back together, and did it again the next day. Went for a drive, opened the hood, loosened up the hose clamps, throttle cable bracket, and valve cover bolts while it was still running. Then I shut it down and was workin within minutes. Finding the TDC mark was a beeeeotch even with help..... I still haven't actually set the timing with a light. I will do that soon... Also checked the MPG today... OUCH!!!! 11.5 mixed driving..... NO bueno! I gotta get my Loyale back on the road! I really like driving it though, super smooth and very comfortable. Needs tunes!

I can't even see the timing window on the side, I haven't adjusted my timing by light either. Just by ear.. Only problem I have is, my disty is fully retarded and I get ping now and then. Why its at fully retarded escapes me, I dunno if someone put the disty back in, a tooth off or what?

The 3F-E is a slow revving motor, so these aren't the quickest off the line, shifting around 2500-3000rpm at most, with moderate acceleration. I was told not to rev these motors to hard, as they are an OHV Pushrod motor, but then again, so is the EA81. So I don't get it? Why wouldn't this motor handle higher RPMs well? Pushrod V8s can take higher rpms.

Anyway, these do ride nice, and ride even better with new heavier duty suspension. It will be firm and bouncy, but smooth :) I like driving the FJ80 a little more then the Subaru, but the MPG kinda sucks, if you know what I mean...! :burnout:

• 2 weeks later...

My lift will be here on the 19th! And I also bought some used rear OME 860's off Craig's for $100, so I'll have some different rear options. The kit I ordered comes with 850's, which I'm told are 2" heavies, and I believe the 860's are 3" mediums? I dunno. Regardless, the Cruiser is coming along nicely and I'm diggin it!! My buddy dubbed it "The Storm Trooper" so I'm having some vinyls made for it too, I really like this rig.....

Ya the kit is here! I'm really just waiting to take care of a couple financial obligations before I install it. Kind of a reward for doing the right thing sort of deal. Really, there's no reason I can't install it. But I'll feel better about it of I handle this small business first. It'll happen soon though!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice Video... Any news on the Land Cruiser?

By the way, the other day I was walking in the street, doing some errands and I took my Cellphone to do a Phone call, then I saw coming on the Street, a Land Cruiser similar to yours, but with Factory Snorkel; so instead of doin' my Phone call, I shoot a Picture of it with my Cellphone's Camera...

The picture looks somehow, stretched due to the crappy cellphone's camera and the fast movement I did to catch that car on a picture... but here it Goes:

LandCruiserGSXwithFactorySnorkel.jpg

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wish I had lockers!

I think lockers are great, and also somewhat overrated on these things. I wish I had them too but with as heavy as they are, it takes a LOT to even get in a situation where one tire is off the ground enough to be "stuck". IF I get to a situation where I end up re-gearing, I'll probly put an auto locker in the rear, maybe..... I dunno..... So far I'm really liking the heck outta mine! I've got most of the necessary stuff to completely de-smog it, which I gueass will help with the idle and lower RPM smoothness. It really is a tank.... You can literally cruise the land in these things haha..... :-p

• 2 months later...
I just messed my self, watching this video...

Comin' along nicely tom!!

I know this is an older post, but I just had to respond.....since I live in Moab ;)

here are a few clips in chronological order. . .

and with my new (to me) UADM dual range 5MT

:banana:

that's enough teaser-ing for now, sorry for distraction, but try and make a trip down here and we'll go wheeling (you've chatted with my buddy with the black FJ80 on other forums)

Edited by superu

• 11 months later...