Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump relay & Main relay location '98 OBW

I checked on my 99 OBW, which is same car as yours. Fuse and relay panel is in the engine bay. Open the hood, it is right behind the battery above the road wheel. Fuses and relays are in a black box, marked "fuses & relays." Unlatch the clip closest to the windshield, and the box top hinges upward.

I have read on this forum that there is, or are relay(s) under the dash, right above the lever that you pull to open the hood. There is an access door next to the lever, but it looks pretty small to be of much help.

Hope this info helps..........Rooster2

• 4 years later...

Hello there!

I'm having a hell of a time finding my fuel relay switch. Did you ever find it? I can't quite make heads or tails of that schematic.

My '98 Legacy Outback Limited (wagon) stalled out on me while I was driving home from work a couple nights ago. It'll fully crank but just won't start. I replaced my spark plugs, which was a vain effort (though probably about time to, anyway.) I want to check the fuel relay switch before I jump into the fuel tank itself to replace the pump. The pump isn't making any noise when I cycle through the ignition. 

I know this thread is several years old. Does anyone have any answers?

Thank you!

Edited by Plate_o_Fries

These pumps are hard to hear, and rarely fail. Pull the fuel line off of the filter under the hood and stick it in a bottle, see if any fuel squirts out when you turn the key On. 

I would also check the connector for the fuel pump on top of the sender unit before trying to get to the relay. If there is any corrosion there, its common for the terminals to burn and cause a bad connection. 

Edited by Fairtax4me

There are actually three relays that control the fuel pump.

The actual fuel pump relay is cylindrical and tucked up on the drivers side in a metal clip. May be white or green in color.

In the engine panel SBF 2 controls juice to the fuel pump relay. However, SBF 4 controls juice to SBF 2.

Check both, more often than not, it's one of these that has blown.

O.