Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon Fwd Build

1982gl4

I should have used a hole saw... I'll know next time! And thanks for the compliments Loyale 2.7 Turbo!

Got two wheels today I'm looking for two more if anyone has them pm me I'm more than interested.

1-16.jpg

Other progress has been slow the body work always takes the most time.

basicly I took the doors off and started fixing the rusted one, and prepping the rest. They all had rock guard on the bottom, which I guess is okay, I'm not a fan of the look, but it needed to come off for paint, so after some sanding those are all good. I've moved onto bondo now....

The rustiest door.

3-13.jpg

A bad pic but it's cut out and new metal welded in. The rest of the doors have some rust, but I sand blasted it, and I'm going to por15 over it. It's not bad enough I feel I have to cut the bottom of them off like this one

4-9.jpg

Bedlined the front bumper came out nice. The rear will be done soon, I just have to drill some holes in it to mount a trim piece I found that will match up to the tailgate nicely.

5-7.jpg

And I also sandblasted some of the rust spots around the rear windows, this created an issue because the metal was too thin. I then had to weld it all back together. Here are the pics after the holes were fixed.

7-4.jpg

8-2.jpg

9-2.jpg

I always think that the metal work takes the longest, and then I get into bondo, and prepping for paint.... A lot of time to be spent here. Luckily this car is pretty strait, only a few dents here and there to fill, smoothing up the rockers where they connect to the car, other than that it's just disassembly, and sanding. after that it gets covered in primer, that could be as soon as the weekend after next. after that a light sanding, and the real deal paint.

Pics so far

Mounted the trim on the bumper today looks nice. I took it back off to paint it

1-17.jpg

The door that needs the most work.

2-15.jpg

3-14.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Recaro test fit!!!! They give more head and leg room, and there's a bit more rear leg room as well. They are a little beat up, the bottom sections need recovering, and the bolsters on the passenger's seat are worn, but I think I'm going to have them recovered. It doesn't look like they will be all that hard to make mounts for, the two front ones line up already! Also a pic of my newest set of wheels, which appear to be painted the original cosmic blue of this car.

3-15.jpg

2-16.jpg

1-18.jpg

Thanks I hope it will look good when it is all done, I'm hoping to get the paint done over my thanksgiving break from school, I'm still undecided on a color... There's not really much left to do, bondo, sanding, and disassembling the doors the rest of the way and that's about it.

It's hard to picture wing mirrors on a xt, but I think they could have them if it was done right, and look good too!

Spent about 4 hours sanding and working one the rocker panels today. a little more bondo and we will be good to go. I'm afraid I may have to sand the hood down to bare metal, other wise the paint is going to come out uneven because the clear is all pealing along with the roof. I also have been working on rear mounts for the recaros, but the bandsaw switch broke off so I gave up on that. I also found out my door sill covers are going to work with the new seats. I was a little worried that the trays attached to them were going to get in the way of the seats. And I put the doors back on so the body work will be a bit easier.

Sill trim in place

1-22.jpg

Doors back on

4-10.jpg

And it with my brat which I hope to work on this weekend. I need to get it running :brow:

1-21.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it is going to be white :) I think I'll go with a factory Subaru color, the same as my 92 legacy (pure white) I ordered a new sander today so I can finish sanding it. My other one started spitting out oil (bearings were shot after 6 cars :-p ) So I decided that was not good for painting purposes. I also have more sand paper on the way. I need to sand down the roof to bare metal this weekend as the paints doing the same thing as the hood. I have three weeks off after next week. I hoping to get this painted and back together in that time. After that's all done, it goes lower

Spent the other day cleaning the garage, I still have a bunch left to do . Sanded the car a little. But found a great product to fix my cracked dash! It's the same stuff used on WRC dashes. Here's a thread I found on how to install it.

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/254699-how-flock-dashboard-give-suede-look.html

I'm not sure how bondo will hold up to a dash. I may try to find something else to seal up the cracks like foam or something.

And here's the site for the Flocking.

http://www.donjer.com/

I also ordered a new windshield, and window seal for it today.

Spent the last few hours taking the windshield and Dash out today. I'm glad I did. It's a mess behind the dash and needs to be cleaned badly. I also found some more rust around the windshield that needs to be fixed. Anyway here are some pics of the process.

1-25.jpg

3-18.jpg

4-11.jpg

This is the 7th snake skin I have found in this car so far :spin:

5-8.jpg

Dash out

6-7.jpg

7-5.jpg

Tonight I will be ordering the flocking. I can't wait to fix this. The dash drove me crazy in this with that huge crack.

Thank you, it has been rather time consuming :rolleyes: Tonight the flocking has been ordered. I'm interested to see what I can do with a cracked dash. Anything will be an improvement over what's there now. I'm also did some body work today. I plan on doing a lot tomorrow. I hope to have this painted in the next few weeks :headbang:

Worked on this a lot today. Mostly fixing a rear quarter I messed up while doing the metal work.

I accidentally made it like this...

4-12.jpg

and it was driving my crazy so I cut it and welded a new lip on it and made it look like this.

5-9.jpg

I then removed the front valence and started removing the huge dent, and some rust.

2-20.jpg

Headliner was taken out. I'm going to recover that because it's really dirty, and the color has faded quite a bit. I think I may redo it in plaid, depends what I can find for fabric I guess.

3-19.jpg

1-27.jpg