Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon Fwd Build

1982gl4

Haha it's on my parents land (where I still live being a collage student) that was at the largest amount of cars we had at once, most of them being my uncles... I think it was around 36 if I remember correct. We don't have zoning laws in the town where I live. We are down to like 10 or so now most of which are Subaru parts cars,my nissan offroad rig, a porsche 914 parts car (for my dad's Subaru powered one), couple old VWs and that's about it. When scrap prices went up so did they.

On to step two of my trial and error dash repair. I sanded everything down. Looks like it will be a good base.

2-42.jpg

1-76.jpg

4-29.jpg

These are they only two tools I've used so far. A "cheese grater" and some 80 grit sand paper.

3-37.jpg

How much flock did you use to do your dash? Or what kit did you buy, wondering for my brat dash on how much to get. I was looking at their kits too. Any help with that would be great.

Thanks!

How much flock did you use to do your dash? Or what kit did you buy, wondering for my brat dash on how much to get. I was looking at their kits too. Any help with that would be great.

Thanks!

I bought a pound of the flocking, and i think it was 16oz of the base. I only have used about half of it so far, but I've gotten into a habit of using it on everything. I got two applicators so I could have one ready to use when one was empty. Any more questions just let me know!

I got the carpets back in today and most of the interior back together.

1-47.jpg

2-35.jpg

3-31.jpg

4-21.jpg

Thanks! It's slowly getting there. Glad the interior is back in. It was driving my crazy having all of it stuffed in the back. I still have to put the roof rack on, glass in, side moldings on, put wood down in the back. I want to do something with the front bumper. Not sure what yet, I may go back to stock for a bit. After the body is all back together then I can do some other things I've wanted to do with it since the beginning. :cool:

The first time I used permitex, and it didn't hold, but I think that's because of my own doing. I didn't spray both the fabric, and the headliner so I was able to pull it off by hand. This time around I used 3m interior adhesive and sprayed the fabric and headliner in alternating patters. The fabric seems to be pretty firmly attached now. It's only been in for about a week so I really can't answer how well it's holding up. But I know some people that have had good luck with the glue i used in the past. Good luck with your restoration, post some pics up when you start :D

Glass is in :rolleyes: The chrome strips were left out of both the front and rear windows due to the being in very bad condition, and because the rest of my chrome has been deleted. I don't have pics right now, so that will have to wait until this weekend, having a new front windshield is going to be so nice!

I got the rear wing back on, along with all of the emblems. I started painting the rest of the roof rack as well.

1-49.jpg

I think I'm going back to my stock front bumper, but I'm going to move it in closer to the body, the stock 2x4 ones stick out so far. i plan on making it look like this one

subaru_1800_r3.jpg

I have the 4x4 bumper guards, and the chrome bar that goes along the bottom. Should come out nicely.

I painted the wheels that are going on this. They came out sweet.

1-50.jpg

2-38.jpg

Also got the roof rack back on, cleaned all the windows, and put my floor mats in.

1-96.jpg

And here's another of the roof rack

1-51.jpg

Now i need to get some lugnuts (they are the style with the flat washer on the bottom for these wheels), swap the tires, then lower it...

Edited by 1982gl4

Woah, is this just with some silver paint? That looks like it's brand new OEM!

Yep. I used enamel model paint. Holds up well. I did it to my brat, and my other ea81 wagon and they still look good. When it starts to fade just put another light coat on and you're good to go!

did you have plans for center caps on those new wheels?

I was going to measure them, and find something on ebay. I've used spray paint caps in the past and they look okay as well :drunk:

What wheels are those?

They are listed as an aftermarket 15 spoke on the Subaru of the 80's site. On the back they have xoki stamped on the back, but I have yet to find anything on that. Still 13" but I don't mind.

Hmm, probably a becoming hard to find wheel. I like the looks of them though!

Paint caps FTW!

Yeah I have only seen one other set on here. They remind me a bit of rally wheels, probably the reason I like them so much (and painted them gold) Turns out paint caps are too small for these wheels, so I'm going to put the wheels on and take some measurements (so I don't run into clearance issues with the cv nuts) and I think I'm going to be getting these, but in black as they make them in a 70mm size And I can pull some subaru emblems off from old center caps and epoxy them on :headbang:

9574.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if these would pop into place on Steal pugs? If so, I want a set in Black for my EA82!! Where did you see these? Ebay?

Yeah I have only seen one other set on here. They remind me a bit of rally wheels, probably the reason I like them so much (and painted them gold) Turns out paint caps are too small for these wheels, so I'm going to put the wheels on and take some measurements (so I don't run into clearance issues with the cv nuts) and I think I'm going to be getting these, but in black as they make them in a 70mm size And I can pull some subaru emblems off from old center caps and epoxy them on :headbang:

9574.jpg