Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon Fwd Build

1982gl4

Fixed my wipers today :brow:

They were only working on low, no intermittent, or high. It turns out there were two problems. The motor was the issue for the high speed. I swapped it out with a spare I had around (took me about an hour to find it in my parts shed.) After that was done, I found that the intermittent wiper relay had burned up, I didn't have a spare so I took it apart and fixed the burned up section with a small pice of wire. They work like a charm now.

1-59.jpg

I also took the hvac controls and put new bulbs in as they were both burned out. Next I have to actually fix the heat....

Well I found a problem.

Time for head gaskets, i noticed white smoke for the first time coming out of the exhaust, and it made me think. Checked the coolant, and sure enough it was low. It also explains why I can hear bubbling in the heater core, not sure if it explains why I don't have heat, but it's a problem. I'll be doing it next weekend. I'll get a new crank seal, and intake gaskets from subaru at the same time. I'll see who can get me head gaskets this week.

I'm also planing on painting the engine bay so it will match the car at the same time and just clean up the over all appearance of it.

Intake gaskets came in today. I'll pick them up when I got to work tomorrow. The rest of the gaskets should be in before this weekend as well. I'm going to get some paint for the engine bay too. it would be nice to have it match the car a bit. I also plan on removing some of the unnecessary bits to clean up the engine bay a bit.

Make sure you take pictures of the HG process and tear down. Would be good for future ref. for others including my self :)

I also am going to paint my engine bay when I do the clutch, I am going with Semi-gloss black High-solids. I think it'll look nice once done (Lots of crap to remove though, gawd!)

Will do. I'll be doing them right in the car, like I did the last time in my other ea81. I'll have to look over the heads really well too while I'm there I'm worried that this one is burning coolant. I plan on painting the bay to match the car, just using spray paint. It doesn't have to match perfectly it will be dirty soon enough :)

Got most of the way done with the head gaskets. I also repainted the engine bay, it is at least white now. I have the heads back on not torqued yet, that will be tomorrow. I picked up paint for the valve covers and filter housing, but it's not correct at all. I would like to find something closer. I may use what I picked up for now, just to make it look better than it does. I didn't find anything wrong with the old gaskets they looked new, but there was leaking as one of the pistons was cleaner at the bottom. I checked the heads to make sure they were level using a strait edged, and both were in speck. No cracking anywhere both on the block or heads that I could find, with the exception of some slight cracking between the valves, but I've seen worse in an ea81. Both intake gaskets were junk as well.

Anyway a bunch of pics!

Just started

1-60.jpg

Radiator pulled and air filter housing off.

2-42.jpg

Rocker arm bolts being taken out of the inner fender.

3-37.jpg

Heads off

4-26.jpg

6-12.jpg

All painted up!

7-9.jpg

And my best friend

8-5.jpg

What is involved when putting the heads back on? Do you need to line up dots or something for the Cam gears to Crank?

The engine bay looks nice, must have been a PITA to paint it with all that stuff in there? I'm gonna have to remove everything to do mine right.

What is involved when putting the heads back on? Do you need to line up dots or something for the Cam gears to Crank?

The engine bay looks nice, must have been a PITA to paint it with all that stuff in there? I'm gonna have to remove everything to do mine right.

When I did mine not to long ago, I just made sure to leave the cams alone after I had the towers out. They won't just roll around if you don't mess with them, so they should go in there the same way they came out.

Although really, it doesn't matter since you turn the cam gears to a certain point and the crank to a certain point before putting your belts on.

There are no belts on the EA81. I know how to time any EA82/ER27 and tons of EJs.. Done many in six years.

Although really, it doesn't matter since you turn the cam gears to a certain point and the crank to a certain point before putting your belts on.

Edited by TheLoyale

You can't change the cam timing on an EA81 without splitting the case, at least not that I know of. If all you are doing is putting the heads back on then nothing to worry about. I would either back off the valve adjustment or move the pistons down in the bore when snugging down the rocker assemblies on each side just to be safe.

You don't have to do anything, just make sure they are clean and the valves are all look okay, as Crazyeights said, I move the engine so all of the pistons are away from the valves. Nothing needs to be timed unless you split the case. You want to make sure to adjust the valves when it's all done.

I removed 90% of the stuff in the bay, I unbolted everything I could, and even took the harness out from the passengers side. I left what I could connected and placed everything on top of the engine and covered what I could. Then I painted it. It's not perfect there's some over spray, but it looks much better now.

All finished. I have a couple of things left to do. I want to make the air cleaner look a bit nicer there are a couple of spots I want to touch up. It runs well, but one of the exhaust studs was missing, I have no idea how it wasn't leaking before, but it is now. I'll fix that at work tomorrow. It has some heat when parked, I haven't driven it yet, I think I still may need a heater core, but at least I no longer have white smoke coming out my exhaust.

1-61.jpg

Damn! I really wish I thought of that first, I don't want to be a copy cat ;)

15" Outback/Legacy Turbo wheels on on ur Brat! Nice.

Too late now!

The brat has a bunch of work done to it I need to get it running soon. I haven't touched it in a while, I guess I just got discouraged with the standalone.

Here's the thread for it. Someday it will be one wild ride.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117101

Edited by 1982gl4

Thanks! Even if your engine bay isn't clean you still have sweet vinyls!

I had quite the interesting day in this. It started out normal with me driving to work, then on the way a coolant hose puked out, luckily I had enough tools and coolant in the back to get it to work. Hoses will be in tomorrow, but I was able to cut the other one down enough to hold for now. I then pressure tested the cooling system, and it didn't hold. I looked around for leaks, and freaked out when I saw coolant dripping of the head gasket. Turns out the drivers side intake gasket didn't seal and was following the head gasket down. So I pulled the intake back off, cleaned it, and used some high tac spray on the gaskets. It seems to be fine now :o Needless to say I was a bit stressed out today.

I also found time to fix the exhaust leak, and it is running much quieter now.

I still have no heat. I guess it is time for a new heater core. Finding one in the north east may be an issue. No one has a listing for one, looks like I'll be posting in the classifieds....

I still have no heat. I guess it is time for a new heater core. Finding one in the north east may be an issue. No one has a listing for one, looks like I'll be posting in the classifieds....

????

Rockauto lists them....

VISTA-PRO Part # 399340

Not cheap though. $65