Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon Fwd Build

1982gl4

????

Rockauto lists them....

VISTA-PRO Part # 399340

Not cheap though. $65

Sweet! Thanks for the part # Idasho. Everyone I called around here said that they have been discontinued. I don't think that 65 bucks is all that bad. It would be well worth if if I had heat :lol:

The 9340 heater core will probably be aluminum instead of brass and it's going to be a tight fit in the case. It will take some trial and error with the foam to get it right but it will go. You might also have to trim a little off of one of the heater control valve tubes:(

Considering what you would pay for a radiator, that is WAY larger that the heater core, I think $65 is CRAZY!

True, I picked up a radiator for $130 for this, proportionally it really doesn't make sense.

The 9340 heater core will probably be aluminum instead of brass and it's going to be a tight fit in the case. It will take some trial and error with the foam to get it right but it will go. You might also have to trim a little off of one of the heater control valve tubes:(

Thanks for the info, maybe it would be beneficial to find a good used one then? I've found pics of the aftermarket one, and it looks to be about half the thickness of the original one.

It is about half as thick but the heat transfer and life expectancy of aluminum is supposed to be better than copper/brass. I think it will be worth the extra trouble to fit it. Both of my used original units look so bad I'm not sure they could be saved. Might also consider doing the heater control valve while you are in there, but it adds another $100.00 to the bill.

Still haven't ordered the core, money is an issue. My beetle needs floors first. I'm going to swap my weber this weekend. I miss the power my other one had. I'm also going to mod an air box like Idasho, there is now way I can remove mine now that it is painted!

One thing I have thought of, but haven't tried yet, to try and clean a heater core out is White vinegar.

Works wonders cleaning the scale out of our Bunn coffee maker...

That is what got me thinking about heater cores.

Probally would be best to rig some kind of recirculating pump to flow it thru instead of just filling the hoses.

Don't know.....

Just a thought..

Sell it to me ;)

NEVER!!! :lol:

One thing I have thought of, but haven't tried yet, to try and clean a heater core out is White vinegar.

Works wonders cleaning the scale out of our Bunn coffee maker...

That is what got me thinking about heater cores.

Probally would be best to rig some kind of recirculating pump to flow it thru instead of just filling the hoses.

Don't know.....

Just a thought..

That may help, but I think at this point I'm going to replace it. I have no idea how good it is, or how much build up it has. I'm worried if I try to clean it, it may spring a leak, and I don't want that. This morning I actually had a bit of heat, enough to warm my feet, so it may be getting better :)

Damn that was a good read! I really wanna see the finished interior :3.

Thanks! I'll take some more pics this weekend when I swap my carb. I need to clean it right now, it's pretty filthy. I also need to finish the rear hatch area. I picked up some flooring I can lay down. I would do it this weekend but my graduation is taking up most of the free time I have this week.

I just read this thread all the way through and Im very impressed!looking at the first pic of your Subaru in blue to what it has become now is almost unbelievable.

Its cool you have the space and the tools and knowledge to do that.

Granted you may have gotten a hand from your dad, that still takes strong organization skills and good time management.

Ive never thought of repairing a dash like that.It looks cool black also.

Excellent job.I like the mirrors,the bumpers,the contrast of the black on white and especially the Gold rims. Oh,the airbox and even the headliner too!Its almost overwhelming to see all at once.

Nicely done!

It inspires me to clean up my 84 wagon, but on a smaller scale:)

Thank you :)

Today I have started my weber swap.

This is what I started with.

1-105.jpg

And here is the weber installed.

2-58.jpg

I also got a good head start on the modified air box.

3-47.jpg

4-36.jpg

I added some things to the weber so I can use the stock vapor separator/filter in the engine bay. I'm also going have the egr still intact. I may change some things around if they do not work. I also added my new radiator hoses, so hopefully no more blowouts!

I have now finished swapping the weber on, and this thing goes now :burnout: I took it down the road and back, and it feels like it has so much more power. I never really realized what a difference the weber made because I never had a good working original on any of these. This is the first one the weber swap wasn't the first thing done :lol:

Fixed my hood and air cleaner alignment issues. Took out the BFH and gave it a couple of smacks. The hood no longer hits it, or so it appears. I went to touch up the paint on the filter top, and it pealed all the old paint off :horse: I have no idea why I'm using the same paint.... I may just repaint another filter top. Right now half of it is white and looks like crap. Maybe tomorrow night I'll paint an other.

I'm also having issues with smoke out the tail pipe. I'm not sure if it is due to it running rich or what, but when I took off under hard acceleration I got a big cloud of it today. I'm really hoping it is not still coolant :( Worse comes to worse I have another ea81 waiting ready to go... I'm going to talk it for a drive in a few and see what it does.

Still coolant in the number 4 :horse: It may be coming from above it, I used a borescope to look in, and when the intake valve was opened, more coolant appeared. I'm going to remove the intake and take a close look at it. Wish me luck :banghead:

Still coolant in the number 4 :horse: It may be coming from above it, I used a borescope to look in, and when the intake valve was opened, more coolant appeared. I'm going to remove the intake and take a close look at it. Wish me luck :banghead:

Good luck!

Hope you can find and fix that problem :D

Just out of curiousity, why modify stock air box and not use the aftermarket?

Good luck!

Hope you can find and fix that problem :D

Just out of curiousity, why modify stock air box and not use the aftermarket?

The aftermarket air boxes let in a lot more dirt as the filters never fit right. I'm also a fan of a stock replaceable filter, I can tell when it gets dirty, the gray one that comes with the weber always look the same color. I can use a factory heat riser which is great in spring and fall. Heck we had frost last night. I like the look of it better, it is just part of an old subaru. Really there are a lot of reasons to have the stock one.

AS FOR THE PROBLEM

:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

Although I checked my heads, and everything very well while taking them off, and doing headgaskets, it appears I missed a crack. Tonight I took the intake off, and looked down on the drivers head. There was a hairline crack. It was hardly visible i had to scrape it down just to make sure it was deeper than surface. Sure enough it was. I'm getting sick of repairing this engine, and the clutch is starting to feel funny. It runs great, but I have another ea81 with about 3k more miles ready to drop in, it makes a little more noise, but I hopefully wont have to do anything after installing the new water pump and weber. Hopefully this works out.

Pulled one engine tonight, turns out the rear main was leaking like crazy. Funny it had a new clutch on it. It always felt stiff. I may get a new cable just to make me feel better.

The old one (i'll be using the valve covers off from this)

3-39.jpg

And here is the new one in its new home.

1-63.jpg

This engine is what was in my brat. It ran decent and made it to Pennsylvania and back once, so i'm pretty confident with this one. It also has an ea81t oil cooler on it. Looks to be thermostatically controlled so I'm going to leave it. If nothing else it will add a cool factor. I'll be swapping the ea81t water pump out for a normal one.

2-43.jpg

Yeah eight hour work days followed by working on my own car for a few hours a night make for very long days! It will be worth in in the end. For the gasket I'm using the one that came with my weber. I've managed to keep in intact all this time.

Got the intake off, and then back on after I swapped out gaskets. I installed the new water pump, and got the distributor in. I stopped because I found out I need the 90* hose that is attached to the water pump. I'll get one tomorrow.

I also painted and swapped some parts around.

1-64.jpg

I went to test fit my oil cooler tonight, and I ran into some issues, due to the fact this one is FWD, the cooler doesn't bolt to the lower radiator support section. I'll have to fab up some mounts or something. I could swap on my old oil pump I suppose, but I'd like to have the cooler.

Been a long day. This engine swap is taking unusually long due to me cleaning and painting a bunch of stuff as I go :o I made up some oil cooler mounts today, so that is now sitting where it should be. I also got a spfi egr valve on my intake, as my ea81 egrs were all sticky and slow moving. Carb is back on, along with a bunch of hoses. It is still not running yet, that should be tomorrow. I'm going to have issues with the exhaust as I took the spacers off this engine because my brat had a custom y-pipe. I'll see what i can get on it to get it to work, and I'll be making a new one.

1-65.jpg

From the back

2-46.jpg

More stuff added.

3-40.jpg