Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon Fwd Build

1982gl4

Drove this around tonight with the hellas, and man they are bright, blinding actually. Its so nice on the back roads around here. I just have to remember to flick them off for oncoming traffic. I also noticed the brake lights were out on my way home, luckily just a fuse, hopefully it was just a fluke and I won't have to deal with wiring.... I also took some nice photos today.

2-52.jpg

3-46.jpg

1-76.jpg

Oh almost forgot, this car won ride of them month on the local forum I belong to. :cool:

Edited by 1982gl4

Those are some nice shots, need a high MP camera though for it to be outstanding! I like those Hellas, fits well.

I actually need to get better offroad lights on the bumper now, since the HIDs overpower them, you can't even tell they are on (Boo!)

Do your Hellas vibrate when you hit bumps, or are they rubber mounted?

Those are some nice shots, need a high MP camera though for it to be outstanding! I like those Hellas, fits well.

I actually need to get better offroad lights on the bumper now, since the HIDs overpower them, you can't even tell they are on (Boo!)

Do your Hellas vibrate when you hit bumps, or are they rubber mounted?

Yeah the pics were taken with an I phone, not bad in my mind all things considered!

I have the opposite problem, my hellas overpower my normal lights.

They are mounted directly to the bumper, I feel like if they were rubber mounted it would cause more issues as they would be able to move around more. I haven't noticed any vibration issues at all, although I have yet to drive it over a rough back road with them. My legacy bothers a bit, but I made mounts which could have been built stronger. That's soon to be corrected.

I heard you on the homemade light bar for the bumper. The one on TW10 wasn't the bet, and the lights moved around a bit, but oh well.

You would be right about the rubber mounting making it shake more, the Hellas on my roof rack shake all the time (Even stopped idling) gonna fix that and hard mount them.

I see only the outers are lit up on yours (Normal) why all 4 of mine come on is bothersome. I don't see anything wrong or hacking of wires.

Also, I see those fender mounted mirrors seem to work real good! Good view in the 2nd photo.

I see only the outers are lit up on yours (Normal) why all 4 of mine come on is bothersome. I don't see anything wrong or hacking of wires.

Also, I see those fender mounted mirrors seem to work real good! Good view in the 2nd photo.

I'm not sure what is going on with your lights. Something is up with them I'm sure you'll find the problem soon enough.

The wing mirrors do work very well. I've grown pretty found of them, the have awesome visibility for the lane changes as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a 2000 outback sport to fix and sell. I'm hoping after that is gone I'll use some of my profit to get sway bars for this. I'd love to get it handling better. I'm also in the process of trying to find fwd xt6 rear hubs, or a fwd rear disc set up. If anyone has leads let me know!

Nothing really new done to this. The beetle has taken over the garage for the time being, so I have just been driving this with no real issues so far. I still need to fix my voltmeter but that's not to high on the priority list.

Just for some pic content here is the latest on my Beetle.

948263.jpg

The new color (not the original color of the car, but still a vw color)

948260.jpg

Thanks Tom. I think it should look decent when it is all done!

Not to bring up a sore subject, but......what about your BRAT?! Lol

Tell me about it. I've just kind of lost interest for a while (not forever I keep looking at it while working on the beetle...) But I need the beetle finished and sold so I have money to complete it the way I want. There are some things that I'm not too happy about with it. I'm not a fan of the wiring harness. it's just messy so I'll be cutting up a legacy one so it looks factory, and taking out the ea81t harness as it's just added weight, and a fire hazard. The gas tank is crap due to the company that re coated it. They blocked the pickup tube, and they are impossible to find one this side of the country... I need money for coil overs or at least ones for the rear. I can't for the life of me figure out the stand alone and why it doesn't work (still no crank signal). The rear wheel wells have now rotted out. Needless to say I have a list of things. Beetle fist then on to that. After it is sold I should have money to get what/need to finish it. I'm taking a trip to the north west in a few weeks I'm hoping to hit a few yards and find some parts like rear wheel wells I can craft in and a good tank. I just want it to be super clean when I'm done and it's not turning out that way so far :-\

i have a extra set of wheel wells and a gas tank:grin:u can use the ea82 wagon gas tank u might have to mount it custom but its basicly the same because i also have a extra ea82 gas take i compared to my extra one for my brat, where in the north west are u going?

My friend and I are going to Washington and Oregon. Planing on driving down the Pacific Coast Highway after that, we may go into Nevada on the way back. Should be a good two weeks! If you had a decent set of Wheel wells I'd be psyched. I have access to an ea82 gas tank, but they are quite a bit wider. I've looked at them side by side. I could cut the car I suppose, but I would really rather not.

My friend and I are going to Washington and Oregon. Planing on driving down the Pacific Coast Highway after that, we may go into Nevada on the way back. Should be a good two weeks! If you had a decent set of Wheel wells I'd be psyched. I have access to an ea82 gas tank, but they are quite a bit wider. I've looked at them side by side. I could cut the car I suppose, but I would really rather not.

go to johns in gaston oregon he has all the stuff u want but hes a little exspensive last time i went he had 3 2nd gen brat shells u could get a good set of wheel wells off of them and i think they had the gas tanks

• 2 weeks later...

Been driving this all the time. Loving it and its going great. I got a chance to check my milage tonight after a couple weeks with my normal commute. I'm getting 30 mpg! Been a great car since I changed out that boat anchor of an engine.

Took this go a german car meet (Wolfsgart) up here today with a few friends. A pretty good turn out. I wasn't sure what the reaction was going to be for this at a mostly vw show. As it turns out at the gate the volunteers were telling me I had to show it, most of which didn't recall ever seeing a Subaru this old... On my way into the show I got a lot of thumbs up and shouts. One of the sticker venders told me to stop as he had to put one on my car on the way in :cool: anyway some pics of the show, and one of my new sticker.

My friends beetle on widened steelies.

1-79.jpg

A class winning audi.

2-54.jpg

There was just something cool about this.

3-47.jpg

4-30.jpg

Loved this squareback

5-18.jpg

6-14.jpg

7-11.jpg

Slammed turbo diesel Merc

8-7.jpg

And my new sticker. Although I didn't pick it out. I thought it was pretty fitting.

9-4.jpg

And you can kind of see my friends 75 Mercedes in this one. Unfortunately I forgot to take a complete photo of it. I guess it slipped my mind as I see it everyday at work...

10-2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Currently I'm driving around the country, and today we went to a few pick and pulls. I was amazed at the cars people just put to death up here! There's no rust. I haven't seen a ea82 in the yards in 3 years up in the north I found 20+ between the two yards! I also found a ea81 std hatch and snagged a few parts. I'm looking to complete the grill. I know more hard to fine parts... If you have anything for the grill let me know! I need the head light buckets/mounts a grill and a left parking light lens. I have the headlight surrounds and the rad support!

2-63.jpg

1-114.jpg

Thanks to a very helpful forum member I ended up with some more parts for my gill today :headbang:

1-80.jpg

Thanks Turbosubarubrat!

So all I have left are the headlight buckets and I'll be ready for some zzz and welding after!

I'm also stoping on my way back home in Colorado to pick up some more rare parts :popcorn:

Thanks to another forum member I picked up some fwd xt6 rear hubs! I can't wait to get this converted to 5x100. I'm not sure what wheels to run... I know I'll be using dual port out back front brakes/spindles as I have a couple around. so they will at least have to be 15's I was thinking some rs five spokes would look nice, but we will see what I find!

Not sure what people use to re taper the ball joints anyone know?

I also hope to use an impreza disc set up on the rear with the e-brake backing plate and all.