Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon Fwd Build

1982gl4

Spent some money on this today...

1-82.jpg

I'm going to make an adapter using a stock wheel, I have a 2 spoke that is all worn out and the outside has separated from the steel frame so no loss cutting it up... I'll also be using steel tubing along with some steel plate so it should be very strong when it is all finished. And of course I'll be flocking it :D

"quote: Not sure what people use to re taper the ball joints anyone know? "end quote:

One should really use a tapered ream to change the size/pitch of the balljoint mount in the control arm.

Know anyone that works in a machine shop or tool & die shop?

Maybe you could borrow the correct ream. Be exspensive to buy one just for a basically, one-time use, unless you plan on doing a few vehicles worth of them for others.

MilesFox has posted about using various size drill bits to "step-drill" the control arm. I really don't like that idea myself...

The stud of the balljoint should be fully seated against a simular taper in the arm.

"quote: Not sure what people use to re taper the ball joints anyone know? "end quote:

One should really use a tapered ream to change the size/pitch of the balljoint mount in the control arm.

Know anyone that works in a machine shop or tool & die shop?

Maybe you could borrow the correct ream. Be exspensive to buy one just for a basically, one-time use, unless you plan on doing a few vehicles worth of them for others.

MilesFox has posted about using various size drill bits to "step-drill" the control arm. I really don't like that idea myself...

The stud of the balljoint should be fully seated against a simular taper in the arm.

Awesome thanks for the info. I know a few shops around that could probably do it! That thought didn't even cross my mind! The place that built my driveshaft for the brat probably can help me out. Now I just have to figure out what to use for struts....

• 2 weeks later...

New steering wheel came in tonight! I'm so psyched to make an adaptor tomorrow after work so I can get this thing on. It feels perfect in every way it's very light, the finish is awesome, and the actual wheel is pretty thin which I like. I'm not a fan of really fat wheels. I'll make sure to post photos of the process of making an adaptor out of an old wheel as well.

1-84.jpg

Well the wheel is on. I didn't take a ton of photos as I was in a hurry to leave work tonight. I didn't want to be there super late. So here are a few from tonight.

Started with a 1 7/8 section of 3 inch pipe. I ended up stretching it to near 3.5 by the time I was done.

1-115-1.jpg

What I used from the old wheel.

2-64-1.jpg

3-51.jpg

after that I welded it, and then made the front for it using some thick steel I had kicking around at work. Sorry no more pics of the process as I really was more focused on finishing it than taking more pics ;) I still have a bit more work left, but the wheel is on the car and looks a feels great. Basically I need to flock it and it will be set.

4-39.jpg

6-19.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
That is insanely awesome!!! I love it!

Thanks man! it's one of my favorite mods that I have done to the car, I absolutely love that wheel.

On another note I made an offer on a loyale at work today. I'm not sure if they guy is going to sell it to me for my offer, but it would be sick to have FI in this thing :burnout:

Thanks man! it's one of my favorite mods that I have done to the car, I absolutely love that wheel.

On another note I made an offer on a loyale at work today. I'm not sure if they guy is going to sell it to me for my offer, but it would be sick to have FI in this thing :burnout:

Let me know, I may want some parts! I'm assuming it's rusty?

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a rusty pile of a loyale today! So a FI swap is in the making :cool: other than that I really haven't been doing much too this. My VW is taking all my time, money, and garage space but man is it coming out good! I'll be able to start work on this again soon!

That's what I'm hoping for both an increase in power and milage!

speaking of which, I got my loyale running today! It was slow at work, which is amazing for tires season, so I had some free time to mess around with it. I had to put a new (used) fuel pump in it because it was leaking everywhere. I also had to run a temporary line from the pump to the fuel filter to get it to run, the old one was spraying almost as much fuel as the pump :brow: After I got that done, the thing still wouldn't run. (gas helps) after that was added, at first it really didn't run well at all, it has something to do with ancient fuel.... (sitting for 2+ years not running) So I added fresh gas and seafoam to it and cleaned the mass air, and buy the time I went home it would even idle at a normal rpm :grin: I drove it around the driveway at the shop, no brakes or exhaust made for a fun time :eek:

Here it is in all of its glory.

1-88.jpg

2-58.jpg

Where it idled for the first half an hour if you revved it up at all, it would die coming back down to idle, the lifters were also making a hell of a noise at this point. They calmed down to no noise at all after running a while!

3-49.jpg

After a bit of work.

4-32.jpg

Been researching the swap pretty heavily, I'm putting this link here for my own reference. Looks like a pretty strait forward swap. I need to find one of my spare hitachi distys for an ea81, but that should be no big deal. I'm most concerned about the two switches discussed in the write up for the peddle assembly. And swapping the disty gears, I'm sure I can figure something out.

http://www.leoneturbo.com/docs/EA81_SPI_guide.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Brought my loyale home last night. It keeps fighting me. It didn't want to start up last night. After taking (breaking one of the bolts) the cap off the disti and cleaning the contacts it started up, but that was also after I brought it inside. I think the CTS could be acting up and the idle air could be cleaned. After it warms up it runs awesome. I can't wait for fi!

• 3 weeks later...

Big update! I got the new grill installed today. I wasn't really planing on doing it today, but I didn't have much left to do on the vw, and really wanted to do something to this today!

The last time we will see it looking like this!

1-90_zpsc5ead740.jpg

A lot of cutting...

3-50_zps0be7a8e8.jpg

New panels welded in place.

4-33_zps42636055.jpg

In primer

5-19_zps8c5630b0.jpg

Painted!

6-16_zpsc418b907.jpg

The new look!

7-12_zpsd94f7c88.jpg

Unfortunately I had to delete my ea81t oil cooler as it interfered with the new grill brackets. I may relocate it, or put an after market one on in a different location. Up next five lug swap!!!

• Like 1