Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon Fwd Build

1982gl4

Thanks man! I'm super pleased with how it looks!

So I priced out new rear backing plates for my upcoming brake swap. Holy crap are they pricy. 120 each from subaru, and that is with my discount from work. I'm hoping I can find some good used ones, as i will have to cut them up for this swap anyway.

I have some good plans for this car this winter, and I can not wait to start in on them...

Newer gen disc brakes front and rear, with outback dual piston front calipers, and rear e-brake

stainless brake hoses.

5x100 lug swap

new wheels to go with the swap, I'm currently looking at Enkei RC-G4's or Gold RS five spokes

I'll have to do something with the front suspension to accommodate for the new spindles

Fuel injection swap

Hopefully I'll start stripping my Loyale down this weekend, and start on the injection swap. I have two 4 day weekends in a row, so hopefully I can at least get some parts on the way!

I'm not really sure, I didn't pay much for the car it was $250 with a parts brat.

I'd say right around $1950, that also includes me buying the loyale. It's nice doing all the work myself as it takes a while for things to add up. This next round of upgrades will be fairly pricey, just because the amount of stuff I will have to buy/the rarity of some of the parts.

Would you be willing to part ways with those gold 4x140s after you go 5 lug? :brow:

I probably won't use them after they come off (I still have another car that runs 4x140), I do however like to hoard my ea81 wheels.... I'll have to think about it. I may feel poor enough after buying the new wheels I want I may need to sell them :D

• 2 weeks later...

Took this out of the garage today, it's supposed to be super cold the next few days, and there's no way the vw diesel will start... Plus this doesn't need to be inside anyway, it just makes me feel better. My loyale will hopefully be in the garage this weekend, and I will start pulling the fuel injection off from it to swap onto this! I also have backing plates on the way for this so I can start on the rear portion of the five lug swap after I get new calipers and all the e-brake stuff!

Here's some pic content from today.

2-59_zps0a0f85b5.jpg

1-90_zpsb3481af8.jpg

And one with the bug for fun.

3-50_zpsb649ec76.jpg

Today I stripped my loyale. It took most of the day to do that. I ran into some issues both with the EGR tube to the head (line wrenches are amazing), and I also ran into issues getting the distributor out of the head. I ended up having to take a pry bar, and a hammer to get it out. I was beating the distributor onto the end of the pry bar eventually it came out, but it wasn't a lot of fun... I also grabbed some things I wasn't expecting off from the car, I took the battery tray, and the mount for the air box out so I can make the engine bay hopefully look factory. I also took the windshield washer jug as it mounts on the inner fender, so I can make my bay look a little cleaner. I'm thinking I may try a wire tuck on this car, just to make the engine bay look super clean when I'm done with it. Up next I guess I'll be rotating my IAC, and cleaning up the intake, and start stripping the harness, and then I'll have to swap the gear on the distributor. Anyway some pics of today, I'll post more as work continues.

1-90_zps36cc6041.jpg

All the stuff I pulled out. I just have to grab the fuel pump, and everything well be off that I need.

2-59_zps589e7207.jpg

4-33_zpse99f2bca.jpg

The bay all cut apart and stripped down.

3-50_zpsd799220c.jpg

I got the loyale out of the garage today so I could start working on my actual swap. I took off the IAC so I can rotate it to clear the disty. And I cleaned up the manifold pretty well. I plan on deleting both the EGR, and charcoal canister, to keep my bay a little simpler. I found my parts Hitachi disty so I can take the gear off and swap in onto the ea82 although I can't seem to get the gear to budge with the pin out... I also started stripping down my harness. That's becoming kind of confusing... I did however get all the light sections of the harness removed, and everything to do with the A/C. I need to look out pinouts and such to see what I need to do from here.

Pics from today.

2-67_zps3361ec76.jpg

3-52_zps73a248ad.jpg

4-41_zps54e64e03.jpg

The harness freed of it's tape prison

5-25_zpsed5c73e6.jpg

What I took off tonight

6-20_zps4681502a.jpg

7-12_zpsa154daef.jpg

Brings back a few memories. I remember doing the intake manifold and disty gear when I did the EA81 swap in to my EA82 sedan. And it's still going to this day!

That's the red one correct? I always liked that car.

Had one disty here that I had to clamp the gear in a vice and use a punch to drive the shaft out of it.

That was going to be my next step, I was getting tired last night, and decided to call it quits before I started making mistakes. I'll hopefully have time to work on it some tonight if parts for my audi don't show up.

That's the red one correct? I always liked that car.

That was going to be my next step, I was getting tired last night, and decided to call it quits before I started making mistakes. I'll hopefully have time to work on it some tonight if parts for my audi don't show up.

Yep, 987687 on here owns it now.

Worked on the harness some more tonight. Removed quite a bit more than I was planing, but everything was going well so I just kept cutting.

Here's what is gone after tonight.

1-90_zpseff9f77c.jpg

And what the harness now looks like.

2-59_zps609097c6.jpg

These are a few things I'm not 100% sure on.

I'm pretty sure this is a relay to the starter? (I can't find it anywhere on my diagrams)

3-50_zps635fead7.jpg

I also can't find this in the diagrams I have. I'm going to look closer tomorrow.

4-33_zps01110b27.jpg

I also have no idea what this connector is supposed to go to.

5-19_zps1efdd9f1.jpg

These are a few things I'm not 100% sure on.

I'm pretty sure this is a relay to the starter? (I can't find it anywhere on my diagrams)

3-50_zps635fead7.jpg

That may also be one of the relays for the headlights. Do any of those wires go to the engine harness? You should have two relays: The main relay (square like that one) and the fuel pump relay (round). They also should be next to one another on a separate bracket.

I also can't find this in the diagrams I have. I'm going to look closer tomorrow.

4-33_zps01110b27.jpg

That, I think, is the door dinger box. Although mine was black. Do you remember where it was located? Was it under the dash near the radio or near the driver's side foot well? If it's next to the radio, it's the door dinger box. If it's by the foot well, it might also be the fuel pump controller box. But I do not think they used those on the EFI models.

I also have no idea what this connector is supposed to go to.

5-19_zps1efdd9f1.jpg

That should be the connector that merges the engine harness to the under dash harness. Things like the CEL, oil pressure, coolant temp, VSS, starter signal, and a few other circuits go though that connector. Trace the wires back into the harness. You should have at least two that go directly to the ECU: The CEL and VSS. I cannot think of the wire colors off hand.

These answers are based on an SPFI swap I did with an 88 GL parts car. I do not know if Subaru changed anything else besides adding the clutch switch on the Loyale series.

That may also be one of the relays for the headlights. Do any of those wires go to the engine harness? You should have two relays: The main relay (square like that one) and the fuel pump relay (round). They also should be next to one another on a separate bracket.

That, I think, is the door dinger box. Although mine was black. Do you remember where it was located? Was it under the dash near the radio or near the driver's side foot well? If it's next to the radio, it's the door dinger box. If it's by the foot well, it might also be the fuel pump controller box. But I do not think they used those on the EFI models.

That should be the connector that merges the engine harness to the under dash harness. Things like the CEL, oil pressure, coolant temp, VSS, starter signal, and a few other circuits go though that connector. Trace the wires back into the harness. You should have at least two that go directly to the ECU: The CEL and VSS. I cannot think of the wire colors off hand.

These answers are based on an SPFI swap I did with an 88 GL parts car. I do not know if Subaru changed anything else besides adding the clutch switch on the Loyale series.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I really appreciated it.

The first one has one wire going to the clutch switch, and the rest go to the ignition switch and fuse box.

The second one has wires that go to the coil I believe, but I'll have to double check on that... I think it was mounted right above the hood latch release.

And the third has a few wires going to the ecu, as you said, but I can't recall which ones. I'll have to look again tonight.

I just completed an EA81 SPFI swap about a month ago.

All three of the items that you are picturing can be removed. When you are done you will only have the ignition relay (brown) and the fuel pump relay remaining.

The large white connector is a dealer diagnostic plug I think. Was it located next to the test mode connectors?

Keep up the good work. The swap is 100% worth it in my book.

Thanks!

Tonight I removed a few other things including the ignition switch plug, and the relay in the first photo. I'm still unsure about the one in the second photo, It seems to have some rather important wires going to/from it.

The first being signal to the starter (black/red) this splits and was shared by the ignition switch

The black wire goes to the clutch switch.

blue/black fuel pump relay

yellow to the coil (also splits and goes to the connector I have pictured in the third photo on the previous page)

black/white going to fuel pump relay split and go to the connector on previous page along with the ignitor

I'll quote from the guide for a bit here

"The fuel pump relay (blue connector) gets power from the fuse panel (ignition switched) to both it's black w/white stripe wires. Do not cut them away from the relay. You will find a 4-way connection in the black/white wires where two go to the relay, one goes to the coil ignitor plug, and the other goes to the fuse panel - notice in the schematics below how they both share fuse #11. Cut the one that goes to the fuse panel, and label it "Hot in run and start, 15 amp fuse". You can extend this wire as needed to reach your relay/fuse locations. The blue w/white stripe wire is the fuel pump power"

My pump relay does not connect to the fuse panel with the black/white wires. They go into the blue box that I have been talking about pictured here.

Again the blue box.

4-33_zps01110b27.jpg

I mean it would be easy enough to bypass this, I could wire the harness just like described in the manual, I have no problem doing that. I would just like to know what it is/ if it is important.

In other news I did some work on the distributor tonight. It turns out that my hitachi from an ea81 seems to be aftermarket/rebuilt the gear looks different than the one in the guide. It also seems to have a different sized shaft as I can not fit it onto the ea82 disty. So tomorrow I'm going to pull the spare I have out of my spare engine, and see if that looks right...

Edited by 1982gl4
wire colors where messed up

It is indeed the fuel cut unit. From what Subaru says (I had my friend look it up at the dealership) It grounds the fuel pump relay. I'm getting some more diagrams tomorrow at work, and then I'll decide its fate. I also got ej backing plates in today! So I'll be starting on my rear disc/five lugs semi soon!

The harness is looking a bit slimmer tonight. The fuse box is gone, a long with some other stray wires. I have been labeling the ones I need to go places, I'd say about 90% of those are now done. And I have been taking the wires I do not need out of the ecu leads to make the harness far less cluttered. I still have a few things to delete, but I'm getting pretty close now.

1-119_zpsdd7ede8d.jpg

I still have a few things to order including new intake gaskets, and a thermostat. I'm having a hard time finding where to find resistors so I can delete my egr, and my purge valve. I'm sure I'll find some soon enough...

Here's a pic of the backing plates I'll be modifying to fit. I have to get the ebrake stuff out of another car I have (the adjusters and such that is, I'll be getting new shoes and hardware) I'll need to order some stainless bradded brake hoses as well... My list keeps getting longer.

2-67_zps84dcd5a5.jpg

Today I took a trip to New Ipswich New Hampshire, and came back with quite a hall! Picked up a parts Brat, a new gas tank for my Brat, some service manuals, and a box of extra fuel injection parts! I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I have yet to try to get the brat running, it's missing some parts, but we'll see.

It's pretty badly rusted. Panels are mostly good (quarters and doors) The shock tower on the drivers side has broken threw the wheel tub so that's why it is sitting on the ground.

1-90_zpsacc6631c.jpg

2-59_zpsd62b71d1.jpg

Crack free dash

3-50_zps6646062a.jpg

Gas tank!

5-19_zpse77e3823.jpg

And a box full of FI stuff.

6-16_zps62998ed9.jpg

Worked on the harness some more tonight. I have to cut a couple more wires out, but then it should be all set :headbang: I took the correct disty out of my spare engine and got the correct drive gear. This one actually fits on to the FI disty. Now I get to try out my new drill press :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Got around to doing some work on this yesterday. Work has been super slow, so instead of getting paid for nothing I got some much needed things done with my swap!

I cut down the ea82 disty to fit my ea81. I still have to notch the remaining tab, and drill the hole for the pin, and get out a broken off cap screw...

2-59_zps5d0f317b.jpg

1-90_zps59fa2110.jpg

I cleaned up my intake a bit more, and removed some more parts that I do not need. I also tapped the vacuum ports for the egr, and evap systems so I can block those on. I just have the IAC set in place for right now, I needed to get some hardware from work before I put it on for good.

3-50_zps2af41dab.jpg

I purchased a new thermostat, gasket, and intake gaskets as well!

5-19_zpsb159a20f.jpg

Oh, and I got around to putting my drill press together so I can drill my distributor out!

4-33_zps80fbed13.jpg

I'm selling my outback next week so hopefully some new wheels will be in the near future....

• 3 weeks later...