Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon Fwd Build

1982gl4

Just put my new ball joints in. Glad I did, the boot had totally fallen off from the drives side, hence the bad noises it was making when it got hot. I also reattached my deck lid shocks with proper hardware and hopefully they won't fall off and scratch the heck out of my paint, I have to repair a section as it is down to metal now. Can't wait to take it to Wicked Big Meet this weekend!

Just put my new ball joints in. Glad I did, the boot had totally fallen off from the drives side, hence the bad noises it was making when it got hot. I also reattached my deck lid shocks with proper hardware and hopefully they won't fall off and scratch the heck out of my paint, I have to repair a section as it is down to metal now. Can't wait to take it to Wicked Big Meet this weekend!

I hear you on bare metal. One of my rear door corners is just touching the rocker enough to scratch it down to bear metal. Gonna grind that edge down a little.

You have more car shows in VT then we do! Damn you.. :banghead:

I hear you on bare metal. One of my rear door corners is just touching the rocker enough to scratch it down to bear metal. Gonna grind that edge down a little.

You have more car shows in VT then we do! Damn you.. :banghead:

Do fix that, my other GL had issues with the doors hitting the rockers. On top of rusting, they squeaked like no one's business.

None of the shows I have been to have been in VT ;) Off to Connecticut this weekend with it should be a good (all subaru) show :D

http://www.wickedbigmeet.com/

Tickets are awfully steep though. I'm hoping to get good deals on some parts for the wrx to make up for it.

I'd be interested in the bumpers. Let me know.

My old ones? The mounts are only for fwd's if that is okay. I'd have to figure out shipping, and my life and the post office's hours don't always line up...

I think its bogus to pay admission to a car show. I don't dig that, why should I pay to look at some other persons car, which I could probably see in a parking lot ;) But, if there is free food/drink, indeed that makes sense.

Good luck at the show! Grab some pictures and post them somewhere :drunk:

EDIT: $20 isn't bad, really. The place looks really organized and awesome! Door prizes eh?

I think its bogus to pay admission to a car show. I don't dig that, why should I pay to look at some other persons car, which I could probably see in a parking lot ;) But, if there is free food/drink, indeed that makes sense.

Good luck at the show! Grab some pictures and post them somewhere :drunk:

EDIT: $20 isn't bad, really. The place looks really organized and awesome! Door prizes eh?

No $20 is not bad, but the separate $50 for putting my car in the show is kind of ridiculous. $70 seems like a lot....

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I would be okay with spending 30-40 in total, but I'm not going to miss out, and I want to show this thing off :D As for today

I got the windshield resealed and my feet stayed dry on the way home (yes it was raining)... The aftermarket seal didn't seat to the windshield very well causing a leak between the two. I also hat the chrome strips put back in around the window. I may paint them black, but for now I'm leaving them.

Well the car made it down there and back no problem. I put around 500 miles on it this weekend. It drove very well, and is still getting excellent milage. I didn't put it in the show, but general parking was enough of one. I talked to quite a few people about it, I think most people were surprised someone so young owned it, and others were surprised I drove it down from VT.

1-70.jpg

2-47.jpg

A couple cars from Bag riders.

3-42.jpg

4-27.jpg

5-16.jpg

I saw only two older gen's this brat, and a 70's sedan which I have seen on here a few times.

6-13.jpg

My car with my friend Nick's it is putting down somewhere around 300 wheel hp.

7-10.jpg

Alternator died today, oh well I have extras. Other than that it is going fine. I still have stuff left to do, but my money is going into other things... It supposed to be in the 90's this week anyway so I'll probably wait to change it until this weekend. I have the wrx, and that has A/C :cool:

Fixed my alternator issue, or one of them anyway. One of the wires had pulled out of the plug. I replaced the plug with one from a legacy harness I had around. It's still not charging what I would like. I'm going to swap out the alt with a spare one I have tomorrow and see if that fixes the issue. My battery also may have given up, it's relatively new, but doesn't seem to want to hold a charge....

Thanks eman! Your build is coming along awesome as well. I can't no wait to see that car back together!

I swapped out my alternator for a spare today, and I know for sure my other one was on the way out. It's now charging 14v at idle, I could only get about 13.6 at 2000rpm with the old one. Hopefully this one will last and I wont have any more issues with the charging system for a while.

I got some free time to work on this today, and did something I've been meaning to do for a while. This idea came from a Peugeot 504 my friend has. I'm really pleased with the way it came out!

1-71.jpg

2-49.jpg

3-43.jpg

I also gave my front seats a temporary fix that looks much better than the ripped up/taped cushion from the previous owner. Plus I get the shirts free from work!

4-29.jpg

And just a random shot for fun.

5-17.jpg

Aren't those Yellow lenses in the bag?

Now that you mention it I think yes! So I'll probably do that when they come in!

You stole my idea!! Ah well, typical 80's car with the big yellow driving lights under the bumper, we all dig it :cool:

Yeah it's hard to hate the 80's look. I found them on ebay for quite a bit less than a new kit. I have issues restraining myself when it comes to buying parts. I may get some mudflaps next. I'm thinking about the Rallyarmor basics.

Wood floor looks good.

Had to be a bit tricky cutting around the wheelwells.

It wasn't awful. I used a cutting wheel I use for everything. The corners are a bit off, but came out pretty well for someone that is used to working with metal.

My hellas came in today! I can't wait to put them on tomorrow after work!

Put my hellas on today. It took a long time after work today. Much more time than I wanted to spend on it anyway. They still don't work due to the crappy switch they sent me, it broke on it's way into the spot I made for it in the dash. I have an original one I may put in if I can get it to work, but it doesn't stay in the on position. If that doesn't work I'll pull one out of a legacy parts car I have.

1-73.jpg

Edited by 1982gl4

Looks awesome! :clap:

Thanks! I'm really liking how this car is coming together myself!

This morning I worked on my fog light switch. I found out the problem with it was a pin that had fallen out. Unfortunately it was missing so I made a new one for it using a timing belt tensioner pin. I had to take apart my good switch to find out what the pin looked like, luckily it was very easy to replicate.

2-50.jpg

And now I have a working factory switch. I'll be putting it in shortly.

3-44.jpg