Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Riley's 1987 GL!

Moosen

As far as HP gains are concerned, these older cars get a little gunky sometimes. The hitachi carbs are pretty rough to work with and the performance isn't much, so I think a weber carb or swapping to spfi in the future is a good way to plan.

In the meantime, a can of seafoam can go a long way. There are several accounts of these little $7. cans of magic making a night and day difference. You'll smoke the neighbors right out of their houses, but it's great for restoring some lost power if you've got much buildup in the system.

• 2 weeks later...
As far as HP gains are concerned, these older cars get a little gunky sometimes. The hitachi carbs are pretty rough to work with and the performance isn't much, so I think a weber carb or swapping to spfi in the future is a good way to plan.

In the meantime, a can of seafoam can go a long way. There are several accounts of these little $7. cans of magic making a night and day difference. You'll smoke the neighbors right out of their houses, but it's great for restoring some lost power if you've got much buildup in the system.

Ran the seafoam. didnt do much cause right when i got the car i ran carb cleaner through the whole thing and it smoked a lot. I think my loss of power might be from oil burning?

• 4 months later...

Alright Still in consideration. But new fuel pump comes tuesday. crossing fingers that solves my starting issues and random dying on the road issues.

Then I am gonna look into the suspension related clunk in the front.

Once i get there I am gonna post an ad as a feeler on craigslist to see if I could sell it and for how much.

Then seriously debating whether I should save up and sell my car to get a 2.5rs.......or I have a buddy that wants to help me put an EJ engine in my car. specifically his old EJ205. He thinks we could do it for around 5k. (accurate?) this is what he drives.

546116_10150780388670658_591685657_9991872_1809618938_n.jpg

so the next step i guess would be to figure out the 5 lug swap. I have been reading up but it is confusing.