Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High clearance EA Questions

newsoobdude

IMO, that's the way to do it. Loved that setup on my blue '88.

Only difference between it and the BYB kit of the day, was the rear crossmember was left up against the body. The rear suspension arms are run at an angle. AA lowered the diff by putting 1" blocks under the mustache bar. I had issues with rear axles then until I added a 2" diff drop block from SJR to drop the front of the diff as well.

This is how my Brat is lifted as well, crossmember in stock position, torsion bars reclocked.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...... so what makes it "high clearance"? The fact that the rear diff was kept higher than the rest of the lift (3 inch front body, 1 inch rear diff assembly)? I was thinking it was maybe like 3 inch body and 4 inch strut like some kits?

'Chux, on your BRAT you have X inches body and torsions adjusted as your lift? So we don't have to go to another post, do you mind posting side and front and rear shots of it for us? I'm looking for as much clearance as I can when I lift my EA81s and think I'm going to go 4 inch blocks and RX strut assemblies in the front, not sure on the rear, probably just use the torsion adjust only and have a level BRAT.

The High Clearance kit that AA did was for an EA82 only. EA81s require torsion bar reclock to do the same thing (possible, but was not an AA kit

The diff is still dropped some, but the suspension crossmember is not.

The goal is to avoid this (BYB/Ozified 3" lift on an EA82):

PICT0950Small.jpg

PICT0951Small.jpg

My brat thread is here. Most of the info on the lift is in the first post. It doesn't live at my house, so I can't easily get more pictures.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123367

Thanks for the responses. I really am looking at just leveling my Gen 2 BRAT w/o cranking the torsion bars down too much or putting 1 inch blocks under the front subframe assembly including struts. I guess now it's time to figure out a suspension only lift. Only looking for an inch max. What mods are necessary for the EA82 front struts w/ EA81 caps as I wonder if one can do King Springs instead of the RX and not over stress the CVs.