Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing 2.5 with 2.2 - What's Involved?

rickmcm

Hi

I have a 2002 Outback 2.5 MT with leaking/blown head gaskets, amongst other issues.

I am considering replacing my 2.5 engine with a 2.2 Impreza engine. The seller of that engine says I need only a different Y-pipe, and I'd like to know if that is correct before I go ahead.

The seller does not know the VIN number of the scrapped donor vehicle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

leaking SOHC EJ25's are best to repair. if you put the money towards a proper repair - subaru headgaskets, complete timing kit (pulleys, belt, tensioner) - you've got a really good chance of the motor making another inexpensive 100,000 miles.

engine needs to be a 99+ Phase II EJ22. Phase II EJ22's have the spark plug wires going through the valve covers on the side of the engine. make sure it's one of those.

EJ25 should be dual port exhaust and the EJ22 will be single so you'll need a single port exhaust. they can be difficult to find for some folks since yards won't (or can't legally) sell them. but on forums like this should be able to score one. other than dual/single port style - all the exhaust manifolds easily interchange and bolt right up.

Hi Gary

Engine makes a terrible clattering noise - I don't know what it is, but it sounds expensive..!

This engine blew one set of head gaskets at 80k miles, they were replaced at a cost of $1800 and now they've blown too. I'm loathe to spend any more money on this engine, hence my decision to swap it out.

Besides, I don't have the skills to rebuild it myself, and it would cost too much to have it done professionally.

I'll replace the timing belt and pulleys and water pump on the replacement engine and fit a new clutch too.

If it's from an automatic transmission vehicle (I don't yet know if it is or not), will it fit my manual as-is, or will it need a new/different flywheel..?

The 2.2 engine has supposedly done only 80k miles and is available at $650, which seems like a deal. Only problem is, without any paperwork or numbers, how can I know? Is there any way to check the replacement engine without buying it and installing it first?

when the headgaskets were replaced the first time do you know if subaru headgaskets were used and the heads were resurfaced? just curious for mental notes aspect of things.

rattling could be something simple - heat shields, timing tensioner, etc. but i hear you in being done with a problematic engine.

leakdown test is about as good as you can do on an unknown engine. no way to verify mileage really.

i forget if EJ22 and EJ25 flywheels are different....someone will have an EJ25 flywheel for you though if you need one. i have one lying around, many others do too.

Just curious, why is that? The 2.2 flywheel will fit the 2.5, so why wouldn't the opposite work?

Never thought it didn't... I know a 2.5 flexplate bolts to a 2.2. I've done that, and everyone who's done a 2.2 swap.

And I've bolted what I was pretty sure a 2.5 clutch setup to a 2.2 for someone and it worked fine.