Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Brake Tool

Guest kecksnext

Guest kecksnext

Has anyone made a tool for compressing the brake caliper piston? Some pics would help a lot. when I had my first Roo years ago I made a little piece with 2 pins but was a 2 person job, not very efficient now days. BTW who came up with and what benefit is there to having a threaded piston?

Guest Tom63050

I don't think the piston is actually threaded, but for some reason I've heard you screw it in clockwise. You can do it with a pair of pliers. There is a six-sided little cube thingy you can get at an auto parts store that you fit onto the end of a 3/8" drive socket extension, that makes the job a little easier, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Guest kecksnext

For some reason I remember having to turn the piston while compressing it at the same time. Is that right or will it compress simply by turning the piston? Thanks for the quick responses.

Guest OH Noah

Many brake calipers that incorporate a parking brake use a threaded piston. I'm not really sure how it works, but it has to do with the parking brake self-adjusting.

You can buy (or borrow from Autozone) a disc brake kit that has many different sizes of discs with pins in them for the purpose of compressing threaded caliper pistons like ours. The little cube tool works too, but it's kinda clunky.

Guest calebz

For ten bucks, the cube is worth it. Beats the hell out of banging up your knuckles trying to do it with needle nosed pliers.. easier on the piston too

Guest SubaruJunkie

I made a tool for this job. I took an old socket, something in the standard size that I would never use. I made sure the diameter was big enough to cover both notches in the cylinder, and then i used my dremel to cut away at the socket leaving only 2 sections sticking out.

Now I just use a socket wrench, and my special socket to reset the calipers. It can be a pain in the rump roast to reseat them, but if you undo the bleeder valve alittle it helps releave pressure.

I have pictures somewhere, if I can find them i'll post them.

-Brian

Guest Sweet82

For as often as you have to do it, I just use Channel Lock pliers. :x

Every few years fighting with that #$% piston is not that big of deal. If I had a herd of Subarus, I'd make a tool. I do it so infrequently, I have a hard enough time just remembering how:rolleyes: :x :x

Spin it and be done with it!:)

For what its worth,

Glenn

82 Hatch, now with partial Rhino frame:evil:

01 Forester, with Subaru frame:lol:

Guest SubaruJunkie

Its not easy to spin, and plyers can hurt your knuckles or risk damging your caliper or the boot that protects it.

I have 2 Subaru's, but the 1st thing I do to any Subaru I buy is the brakes. This simple little socket might not be used much, but when i need it, its great to have.

-Brian

Guest subyaddict

The piston turns in nice and easy if you rebuild it.

I did my driver's side and now it is VERY easy. No knuckle smashing involved. I'm going to do the right side next.

It's not very hard, but it takes more than two hands, or the special tool for copacting the conical washers on the back. That's also where the threaded pin the goes from the parking brake lever (the one on the caliper) to the back of the piston. Other than that it's very easy and very much worth the effort. It definitely improved the pedal feel as well.

My 2 cents

Nathan

1983 gl wagon 4wd d/r 5sp, R-LSD, R-discs, 180deg stat,10 deg advance,87 octane no knock at full throttle uphill on a hot day,Really top speed approx.95mph

next up SPFI and Kumho R700 Gravel tires

Guest moosens

I've been told by Subaru Master Techs that if you don't turn them in you're ruining them.

I've been using duckbilled pliers but the last few jobs busted my balls so I'm going for the tool...sometime.:rolleyes:

Guest choinka

I just use the tool for removing discs of a hand grinder. Most people have one, and I never have a hassle using it. It's already got the two teeth which will fit if you have a right size.

Richard