Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjust your valves! Part two:need place to work CT

Waited too long. Hammered it out in third gear somewhat forgetting about fourth. Must have been going at least 80mph in third. Noises began , looked down , doh ! , shifted to fourth but too late. No tacho - although I have one ready to install with dash , etc.

Engine locked , luckily after I put the clutch in and coasted off to the side.

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have happened if I'd not been putting off the adjustment for so (too) long.

FYI - there was just one of the old valve adjust tools for mighty cheap on eBay. I've got two , but they did me NO GOOD SITTING IN MY TOOLBOX !!:mad:

Crate ATK rebuild and 48K tranny going in. Anybody who wants to help with a place for me to work or as helping hands for wherever I end up doing the job , let me kow. Thanks! Car sits in Bridgeport - have AAA Plus so I can tow it up to 100 miles free - I have an engine crane and tools , all that's needed to do the job and can pack it all into my Legacy wagon.

Sure would like this car back on the road before December.

80 in third! yeah man. you would have been up past 5500 rpm.

Good on ya for giving it the beans!

Would be interested to find out what let go.

Pics!

P.s. glad you have a backup plan ready to go.

Would AA tow it to NZ? Warm weather here.

Damn! Where are you gonna find someone in ct to help you do an engine swap? Hmmm? If only you knew someone......

:) Well , uhh , guess you're offering. :grin: Damn distance .... I've got an offer from my bro. up in Naugy , about a half hour drive. So far he's in the lead , but I sure do appreciate your offering and you never know , you might be hearing from me on this anyways. If you've got some space I could grab a couple of weekends with that might be something to consider. I'd do things like swap the doors , or maybe just comfortably finish the engine and tranny swap without major stress.

Camping in the back a possiblility? Is that where we're talking? Could do a nice long Saturday and Sunday a few extras. That'd assure a completed job. Plus having THE MAN (that's you) there ... but I would expect you have your own buggy to wrench , so space alone would get you reduced favors due my way :lol: . Talk to you soon

So what's everbody expecting from this adventure when I do finally crack it open? Pretty sure I want to totally investigate and salvage whatever I can being this is the original engine and still under 100k. Damn ! :mad: Kills me to say that. :-\

So what's everbody expecting from this adventure when I do finally crack it open? Pretty sure I want to totally investigate and salvage whatever I can being this is the original engine and still under 100k. Damn ! :mad: Kills me to say that. :-\

I regularly wind my girl up to 6000rpm. She loves it!

I do keep my valve clearances on the sloppy side and timing is conservative.

You haven't given us much to speculate on but I don't think you were really abusing the engine.

My guess at the moment would be con rod failure. Or at a pinch crank shaft failure.

Good luck with the transplant. And enjoy the process.

Thanks! Yeah , we'll see. I do tend to abuse my Subarus on occassion. This was outright stupidity or just plain half asleep at the wheel. I take full blame from the neck up , not from the belt down like I'd prefer to say. :lol:

Jesse, I'll call later if you haven't left for work yet.

• 2 weeks later...

DUDE!

I wound it up to 130k(80) in third gear to find out what rpm.

Answer... Close to 6500rpm.:burnout:

Nice one!

No valve dancing for me. I'm assuming your clearances were tight but I would like to know for sure please?

:lol:

I'm assuming your clearances were tight but

heck no , those valves were talking to me for months ...neglect on that issue. Thanks for the experiment. I have no tach - yet - but when I go over my car I'm going to add the '79 e'tron ignition and tacho.

Going to explain a little once more :-\ -Early morning , sleep deprived , no coffee , and too anxious to catch up to the Ferrari , and Lotus' (plural) that we were with. Damn those guys for making me chase them !!! :lol:

Driving While Toast ! :grin:

Thanks to Subafreak for trying to get me back on the road !

I'll find out pretty soon. We're - hopefully - going to be ripping it apart , or at least swapping out engine and tranny in a couple of weeks. If we don't have time to rip it open I'll do it down the line sometime. Very curious as well.