Ultimate Subaru Message Board

suspension issues 2000 Outback

2000 OBW ltd. 195k miles. auto

The rear struts are new, the front ones are, in all likelyhood, original. Whether they're stock or not, I'm certain they've lived a full life and need to be retired immediately!

It's the rear I'm worried about. Those struts have in the ballpark of 40k on them and the drivers side sits an inch, maybe an inch and a half lower than the passenger side.

I had thought that there was maybe a broken spring or bad mount, but everything appears really solid.

I had planned to replaced struts, mounts, and springs at all 4 corners, but I really don't have a problem leaving the rear struts (replacing the springs and mounts) if they only have 40k on them.

With the sag I've mentioned, is there a reason to believe that I should replaced these struts?

Additionally, I'm thinking seriously about replacing the springs with those from '04 to '07 (I think that's the time frame) Baja. I assume I would use the OBW struts and only swap part numbers for the springs? Yes, I'm looking for a little bit of a lift.

Thanks all!

I am pretty sure the struts themselves wont affect the ride height, I think it is the springs that support the car and the struts just dampen movement. If you are sagging on one side in the rear only I would tackle the springs first. I probably wouldnt worry about the front springs unless they are sagging or showing signs of wear, but shocks would be a good idea if they are indeed original. Sorry I dont really know about the interchanges

2000 OBW ltd. 195k miles. auto

The rear struts are new, the front ones are, in all likelyhood, original. Whether they're stock or not, I'm certain they've lived a full life and need to be retired immediately!

It's the rear I'm worried about. Those struts have in the ballpark of 40k on them and the drivers side sits an inch, maybe an inch and a half lower than the passenger side.

I am confused. In your first paragraph, you state the rear struts are new. Then, in the second paragraph you state the rear struts have about 40K on them.

I'm thinking your second statement is the one that is correct. The springs determine most of the ride heighth, as they support the car. However, I have replaced struts to observe that new struts also add to ride heighth.

Suggest you pull the road wheel off on the sagging side to look for problems. Look for oil stains on the strut to see if oil is leaking from the strut. Also, look at the coil spring for problems. Push down repeatedly on car corner prior to removal of road wheel.........see if shock is working properly with good rebound.

New is a relative term on a car with almost 200k on it. :). So, yes, the 2nd statement is more descriptive.

Good rebound. Upon inspection yesterday, before I posted this, I observed a solid spring, no visible cracks or breaks, no leaks, and a solid strut top.

My concern remains, will the sag imact the longevity of the strut? Are the struts, which aren't leaking and currently have good rebound in the rear, destined for an early grave because of the sagging?

In other words, will the struts be damaged because they spend more time further compressed then they were intended?