Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New factory "Off-rioad" subie, the Subaru XV anyone??

Looking at a a new imp the CVT was 1000.00 and the winter package was 2000. Take the 22,500 add 3000 that is about right.

Well that's balls. 25,000 is my MAX, so starting at 25,500 won't work for me. Although that winter package isn't necessary to me, i don't think- I live in Southern California. What's the winter package entail?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at subaru today ordering a brush holder for the Justy.

The Justy gets no love from subaru anymore, but i got the 2nd to last brush holder in north america!

Which Justy you have? They are very/quite popular over here cause they were one of the cheaper AWDs you could get. Now we have the Terzia (a toyota copy with no AWD).

I drove the XV Diesel few weeks ago with 6 speed MT, it drives fine and loads of torque compared to my 1.6 impreza. But due to weird Dutch pricing this car is unaffordable for the average family (1.6 starts at 29K euro, and diesel at 36.5K euro) Don't bother converting to dollars it does not make any sense.

Especially in Canada is right.

A friend of mine wanted to buy a 2007 Civic Hybrid (new in 07) and after doing his research and then a pile of paperwork he went from Canada down to the states to buy it from a dealership there. Even after all duties and travel costs he saved about SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS over the Canadian dealer price.

It's bloody disgusting.

• 2 weeks later...

So the base price on the XV is going to 22,790.

Source: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1207_2013_subaru_xv_crosstrek/

Still unsure as to whether I'll get it or not, because I don't know how comparable the base price is to, say, the Sport Impreza. Do you guys know? Everything I've read seems to want to compare the base of the Crosstrek to the base of the five door impreza, but it's the sport package that intrigues me most for imprezas, so I need to figure out how much a Crosstrek comparable to one might be.

If I was in the market for a brand new car, I wouldn't get it just on the principle that it's a new model. The first generation of anything is bound to have issues, let other people be the beta testers, and get the 2nd revision.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been looking at the reviews and specs on the XV and the recent Impreza with the new engine and CVT. The CVT version is supposed to get better fuel consumption.

Both vehicles with CVT have a 3.7:1 final drive. The Imp with a 5 speed has a 4.111:1, and the XV has 4.44:1!

I wonder how good the gas mileage would be if they had the same final drive? Is the higher ratio final drive put into the manuals just to make the CVT more attractive?

Or maybe it doesn't get any better fuel consumption at all, it just looks good for the EPA figures, a way to game the system.

The CVT's from subaru have been generally getting better then EPA mpg raitings (outback board info). Final gear ratios are complicated things, but yes MPG does play into it, as well as thrust. You are forgetting the CVT has a torque converter, which multiplies torque. This is one of the bigger reasons for the difference in final drives between auto and manuals.

CVT also tries to keep the engine at peak torque at all times. No lugging, no over-reving.

More efficient that way.

Well, Subaru"s done it:( The new ones look just like all the other **** out there Acura,Infinity,Audi,BMW,Yada Yada!! I like two earlier comments that Fit..1-A Urban Adventure Vehicle:lol:{Good for Grocery Getting} 2-Most Soob owners don"t offroad....I"m Offended:mad:

XV manual has 4.44 to make up for the tire size and weight, and to keep it capable in light offroad use.

If the XV manual came with a 3.7 final it would be gutless in first gear which could mean having to ride the clutch excessively to move uphill or climb even small obstacles, which is where final gearing makes a big difference.

If I did the math right, a 4.44 ratio is 20% shorter than the 3.7. Multiply them by the typical first gear ratio about 3.5:1.

With the 3.7 you get a final output of 12.95 engine revolutions to 1 wheel revolution.

With the 4.44 you'll have 15.54:1. That's a pretty big difference in the amount of torque the engine puts to the wheels. Torque is what gets the car moving, the more you can multiply that torque output at the wheel, the more capable the car is offroad.

Well, here's my contribution. This post copied and pasted from one of my previous posts on another forum.

Sources include:

cars101.com at http://www.cars101.com/subaru/crosstrek/crosstrek2013.html

Subaru Digital Brochure at http://dbrochure.subaru.com/brochures/subaru.xv.crosstrek.2013/index.html?utm_source=com&utm_medium=cta&utm_campaign=rab

Subaru Global specs list (overseas models) at http://www.subaru-global.com/13xv_rr_spec.html

My own common sense and general knowledge about Subaru vehicles.

Engine in the XV Crosstrek is the FB20, a DOHC timing belt non-turbo engine with no known differences from the regular Impreza (most likely none).

Possible the cooling system may be upgraded, but unconfirmed.

Subaru Symmetrical AWD types:

As always manual uses Continuous AWD (50:50 F:R torque distribution), while the automatic option, the Lineartronic CVT, uses the Active AWD (60:40 F:R torque distribution). As far as I know, there may not be a viscous LSD (limited-slip differential) in the rear, although I would expect it to be standard.

All-Weather Package is standard in North America, as there is no official "base model" available here.

One odd fact is that even though the North American models are rated with a max towing capacity of 1500 lbs,

the lowest towing capacity of overseas models available is at 2645.55 lbs (equipped with the weakest engine, the FB16 and Lineartronic CVT), which is quite baffling,

as the FB20 overseas model (with a 6-speed manual instead, we don't get the 6-speed) can tow up to 3527.4 lbs.

Off-road specs include

Ground clearance: 8.7 inches

Angle of approach: 18 degrees

Breakover angle: 21.1 degrees

Angle of departure: 27.7 degrees

Fording depth: no official number, but most likely about the same as the ground clearance (8.7 inches) since Subarus tend to list the max wading depth just below the level of the undercarriage.

4 wheel anti-lock disc brakes, front vented, solid rear with brake pad return springs with EBD (Electronic Brake-force Distribution) and brake assist (applies max braking force if panic stop is detected).

Discs measured are:

front 11.6" ventilated disc

rear 10.8" solid disc

Differences between Impreza hatch and XV Crosstrek (plus speculation), the XV Crosstrek has:

* Increased ground clearance due to suspension changes (8.7 inches versus 5.7 for regular Impreza, 5.9 for Impreza Sport), also results in improved approach, departure, and breakover angles for off-road use.

* Larger wheels and tires (17 x 7.0 inch wheels for XV, Sport/Limited Impreza hatch use same-size, lower trim levels use smaller; 225/55R17 tires XV, 205/50R17 tires Sport/Limited Impreza hatch), results in improved overall ground clearance and ability to drive over obstacles.

* Shorter wheelbase (103.7 inches versus 104.1 for regular Impreza), results in improved breakover angle compared to simply lifting suspension (and possibly due to packaging concerns).

* Revised gear ratios (manual transmission final drive ratio is 4.444 versus 4.111 for regular Impreza, other ratios have been modified as well for the XV's manual transmission; Lineartronic CVT gets lower final drive ratio as well), to compensate for extra weight, and for heavy-duty uses such as towing.

* Plastic body cladding protects paint throughout various portions of the body for off-road use.

* Length, width, and height have all grown (175.2 inches for XV, 173.8 inches for hatch; 70.1 for XV, 68.5 for hatch; 63.6 inches for XV, 57.7 inches for hatch)

* Increased weight (XV is roughly 200 lbs heavier than regular Impreza counterpart)

* Larger fuel-tank (15.9 gallons for XV, 14.5 gallons for regular Impreza), likely done for increased weight and for the possibility of heavy-duty use (or should I say heavier use).

* Larger brakes, likely done for increased weight and for the possibility of heavy-duty use (or should I say heavier use).

* Marginally-less cargo space with seats up (22.3 cf XV, 22.4 cf Impreza hatch), I do not know how the XV has less.

* Slightly-larger cargo space with seats down (51.9 cf XV, 49.7 cf Impreza hatch), I do not know how the XV has more.

* Darker window tint (unknown tint values), results in improved privacy for changing clothes, especially useful for outdoor adventurers.